Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: The dangers of towing...
pewe

posted on 24/10/16 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
The dangers of towing...

On ANOther forum there's a pic of what happens if you load a trailer rear heavy:- linky.

This shows what happens when the weight distribution's incorrect linky - scary or what?

I have to admit I did this once when the car I wanted to tow was too long for the trailer but fortunately only did 1/2 mile before deciding it was too unstable.

Take care out there.
Cheers, Pewe10

ken555

posted on 24/10/16 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote

NSFW if in a Polish speaking area.

[Edited on 24-10-16 by ken555]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 24/10/16 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pewe
On ANOther forum there's a pic of what happens if you load a trailer rear heavy:- linky.

I suspect the 1st is more likely to be that the tow car is no where near suitable for a load that heavy.

Mistral Motorsport

loggyboy

posted on 24/10/16 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pewe

I suspect the 1st is more likely to be that the tow car is no where near suitable for a load that heavy.

Mistral Motorsport

Andy D

posted on 24/10/16 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
If the black car on the trailer is front engined, loading it rear first will make the trailer very tail heavy.. snakey snakey!
loggyboy

posted on 24/10/16 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy D
If the black car on the trailer is front engined, loading it rear first will make the trailer very tail heavy.. snakey snakey!

Looks like an FTO so yes Front engined.

Mistral Motorsport

sdh2903

posted on 24/10/16 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
I must admit I had a brown trouser moment when i was bringing the GKD home from its registration inspection, I nearly got sideswiped by an artic and the swerve put me into a snake at 60mph, The trailer was only (just) big enough for the kit and a home brew affair. My dad whos an artic driver had always told me in this situation to back off the accelerator and let it disipate and do not touch the brakes. However i was on the M77 dropping down the hill towards Glasgow at the time so it wanted to run away. Luckily it recovered after a few weaves and a very oh so gentle touch of brakes. I was shaking afterwards, my newly IVA'd and inspected toy very nearly never made it onto the road.

That trailer got cut up for scrap after that and a much better one built! I also took a lot of time to understand the dynamics of the loading of it and got the weight distribution spot on.

02GF74

posted on 24/10/16 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
This topic should be entitled "dangers of idiots on the road"

Towing is perfectly safe if the recommendations are followed. People could have been injured or killed because of the idiot

Police should throw the book at him, preferably hardback copy.

rusty nuts

posted on 24/10/16 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
I was once travelling along a road in Norfolk and saw a car towing a caravan coming towards me that was snaking badly , I pulled completely off the road to let it pass. The woman driving the car look absolutely terrified. Not sure of the outcome.
Wadders

posted on 24/10/16 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Have witnessed the aftermath of two caravan towing accidents, one tow vehicle on its side, the other on its roof. Both Landrovers, a defender and a disco. So yes towing can be risky business if you don't use your loaf.
phelpsa

posted on 25/10/16 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wadders
Have witnessed the aftermath of two caravan towing accidents, one tow vehicle on its side, the other on its roof. Both Landrovers, a defender and a disco. So yes towing can be risky business if you don't use your loaf.

There are two problems with big Landies

1) The view is 'it'll tow anything so i dont have to think about it' which leads to poor loading

2) The massive rear overhang (particularly discos) which make them particularly sensitive

I towed a poorly designed, empty box car transporter with a Disco 2 and it was a bit scary! Above 50mph any sort of crosswind had it going. The same trailer behind a SWB Vito was no problem at all.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.