Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fibreglass advice please
RazMan

posted on 30/5/05 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Fibreglass advice please

Here's one for the fibreglass guru's - I am going to fit a spoiler from a Scooby to my GT2 (no sense in re-inventing the wheel coz the shape is very close) but it will need to have 'stilts' made to make the angle right. The general shape will resemble a cheese wedge measuring about 80mm down to 10mm (50mm wide).

My question is how these wedges should be made - I could make them from alloy sheet and cover with filler to get the right shape. Alternatively I can just take great big dollops of P40 and carve them back to get the shape right.

How would you do it?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chunkielad

posted on 30/5/05 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
I'd use a scrap of timber and cover in P40!

Then mould fibreglass round it as a mould.

OR

Make a sheet of fibreglass up on an old bit of Ali. Cut pieces out of it when dry and turn these into the 3D shape by fibreglassing the corners internally. Get me? You'd have a fibreglass item which is light and weatherproof.

chriscook

posted on 30/5/05 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Do you realise the rear wing on the first aeon went in a wind tunnel? Therefore they should have some good info on how best to set it.
RazMan

posted on 31/5/05 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chriscook
Do you realise the rear wing on the first aeon went in a wind tunnel? Therefore they should have some good info on how best to set it.

The wing that was tested was the alloy type and I am not really a big fan of these - I prefer the more organic shapes. Also, the car I am building is a hybrid version which is somewhere between the coupe and the spider (watch this space) and the alloy wing would not suit the design in my opinion. I am going for a more 'production' look with a fully enclosed roll bar and rear view window.

John @ Aeon is helping me with all of my quirky requirements and is very supportive despite my wandering from his original design path.

[Edited on 31-5-05 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.