Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: mpg
scoobyis2cool

posted on 18/7/05 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
mpg

Ok, I know this isn't one of the things at the top of your list when building a car like this, but does 14.8mpg off a standard pinto sound low to anyone else?

I think something isn't set up properly, so next on the 'to-do' list is to set the valve clearances, timing and have a twiddle with the carb (maybe even get it done professionally).

What sort of mpg does everyone else get?

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
carnut

posted on 18/7/05 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
17 mpg or maybe 18 if I take it easy.
scoobyis2cool

posted on 18/7/05 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carnut
17 mpg or maybe 18 if I take it easy.

It's not just me then! Not cheap when Optimax costs 93.9p/litre... Oh well, it's good fun driving it

Pete

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 18/7/05 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scoobyis2cool
Ok, I know this isn't one of the things at the top of your list when building a car like this, but does 14.8mpg off a standard pinto sound low to anyone else?

I think something isn't set up properly, so next on the 'to-do' list is to set the valve clearances, timing and have a twiddle with the carb (maybe even get it done professionally).

What sort of mpg does everyone else get?

Pete

If you're running twin DCOEs then it wouldn't surprise me..

scoobyis2cool

posted on 18/7/05 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Running the standard carb that came with the engine, can't afford twin webers (yet!)

Pete

Mix

posted on 18/7/05 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Gut reaction and physics says you ought to be getting better mpg than the donor.

Mick

scoobyis2cool

posted on 18/7/05 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mix
Gut reaction and physics says you ought to be getting better mpg than the donor.

Mick

That's what I thought but I'm not sure what the donor was getting. I used to drive a 1.8 sierra for about 7 months and that was only managing about 18mpg, are these engines notoriously thirsty or do I just have a habit of picking the bad ones?

Pete

donut

posted on 18/7/05 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
I was told that my old pinto Indy is getting 25-30mpg

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

Dale

posted on 18/7/05 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
I would think that the nature of the beast is to be driven much harder than you would the donor car hence the gas milage would be similar or worse - even though the load on the engine is less from the weight.
Dale

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

sonic

posted on 18/7/05 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there

I would have it checked out if i were you

I am running a 16v Vauxhall with injection and i am getting 28mpg plus normal unleaded and i dont hang around!!!!

My mate has just got an Indy with a standerd 2L pinto with twin choke and he was just saying how economical it was!!

and he thinks the throttle is a switch on or off !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So have it set up and i think it would be much better

smart51

posted on 18/7/05 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel economy is due to the engine / power train efficiency, the rolling resistance and the aerodynamics. The engine and powertrain is the same from donor to locost. The weight is less on your 7 so, provided you havn't got really sticky tyres, rolling resistance should be less. Aerodynamics should be about the same. The drag coefficient is worse but the fronal area is better.

All that leaves is carb set up and driving style. Lots of acceleration, lots of high speed or lots of idling will up your MPG. Fords have always been notorious for bad fuel consumption.

Mark Allanson

posted on 18/7/05 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
On a long run I get over 40mpg, I get 35mpg normal local driving and this drops to 30mpg when I am blatting. I think the injection helps the economy, and keeps the engine really smooth

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

scoobyis2cool

posted on 18/7/05 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
As a couple of you have mentioned, I'm pretty sure it's the carb - I tried to adjust the mixture by listening to the revs but it wasn't as easy as I'd expected, so I suspect that's where the problem lies. Any tips for a better way to set it up myself or is it a case of getting it to a garage and letting a professional look at it?

Cheers,

Pete

britishtrident

posted on 18/7/05 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
If you can't find anything obvious do a compression test -- very high fuel consumption is a symptom of knackered exhaust valves.
scoobyis2cool

posted on 18/7/05 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
If you can't find anything obvious do a compression test -- very high fuel consumption is a symptom of knackered exhaust valves.

Hmm ok, I'll check it out. I plan on having a look at the valves and cam shaft anyway, the engine is tapping a bit so there's obviously something not quite right under there. I've never actually had the top off it so let's hope I won't discover a disaster!

Pete

Andrew+dad

posted on 18/7/05 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
mpg that low must wee you off lol we get about 25 on average from a 4L jag xj8 lol and we regularly cruise at atleast 100 rergularly hit the limiter at 150 aswell so dont hang around ...

will porably all change if dad gets his way and mum lets him chip it up lol

scoobyis2cool

posted on 18/7/05 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew+dad
mpg that low must wee you off lol we get about 25 on average from a 4L jag xj8 lol and we regularly cruise at atleast 100 rergularly hit the limiter at 150 aswell so dont hang around ...

will porably all change if dad gets his way and mum lets him chip it up lol

To be honest it's not the low mpg that annoys me - it's the fact that the engine obviously isn't running at its best and I'm missing out on some potential extra power!

Pete

Peteff

posted on 18/7/05 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
If it's ticking you can bet the cam's knackered. The lobes on mine were practically round on 3 and 4 when I got it with an 1/8" groove and it had only done 70 odd thousand. I put in a standard cam kit and run it on the original carb and it does at least 25mpg.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

minky169

posted on 18/7/05 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
mpg

hi, i agree with pete ,pintos are notorious for worn cams and therefor followers. i run a 2b with 2l pinto, had 134,000 on it and all i did was fit a cam kit. get 28mpg normally and thrashed it around goodwood for 150 miles and still got 19mpg.

cheers nick.

jacko

posted on 18/7/05 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
mpg

48 mpg running on twin 45su's on a run 70mph + pinto 2.1
jacko

MkIndy7

posted on 18/7/05 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Try the timing as well,
we retarded ours 2 deg to be safe on the track at Elvington so it wouldn't pink at all, if we were 2 busy concentrating on other things!

And now in normal use its doing much less to the gallon, so its getting put back ASAP!

SixedUp

posted on 18/7/05 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
I used to get around 30mpg with a standard 2.0 pinto on twin 40's. A bit less when thrashing, bit more when cruising. Even at its worst, I never saw the wrong side of 20mpg.
Cheers
Richard

scoobyis2cool

posted on 18/7/05 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like a bit of a recon job might be in order then. I'm surprised because the engine was a recon itself, done 3 years ago by Ford and only covered 20k miles since. Makes you wonder how much reconditioning they actually do internally, most people wouldn't know the difference if they stick the old camshaft back in...

Can anyone give me a rough idea how much a new camshaft would cost? Where is the best place to get them? Ford/motorfactor/ebay?

Will also have a look at the valve clearances and timing - I want to learn more about engines anyway so it won't be wasted effort even if they turn out to be ok.

Oh yeah, better check the carb too... this is growing into quite a list, maybe I should just get a new engine!

Cheers,

Pete

[Edited on 19/7/05 by scoobyis2cool]

Jon Ison

posted on 19/7/05 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
Prices went up last week as some pay £1.10/litre

Prices soar as oil hits $60/barrelPetrol prices have hit £1+ per litre -- at least they have if you live on Scotland's Western Isles. In Stornoway, on the Isle of Lewis, petrol was £1.09 for unleaded, £1.10 for diesel, while in Benbecula, it was £1.028 for unleaded petrol and £1.038 for diesel. On the mainland, prices went up to around 90p per litre on Friday.

While some on the islands see it as an unfair tax on the island, the oil companies' usual mantra is to cite the extra cost of shipping the stuff to a remote location. That contrasts with the petrol station on the Orkney island of Rousay, where Chris and Marion Clark are subsidising petrol prices with what they make in their petrol station shop because they cannot bring themselves to charge the 250 islanders the true cost. They should have been charging over £1 for unleaded and diesel at their pumps for the past year but yesterday the price board showed just 98p a litre for petrol and 99p for diesel.

According to a report ion the Glasgow Herald, Clark said: "Basically we dropped our margin from 12.5 per cent to 10 per cent on fuel. We try to be fair and give the heavy users such as the contractors on the island a further discount, otherwise the cost just gets added to the cost of the job."

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.