Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sierra rear bearing loose
Chazzy

posted on 29/8/06 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
sierra rear bearing loose

had an MOT advisory (still passed!) that one of my rear sierra based wheel bearings was slightly loose, been on road for 4 yrs never had this before. its secured with a 41mm nyloc! i did it up originally, presumably to the correct torque. can I:
1) Get away with just pinching it up a bit more or
2) do i need to undo and replace nyloc to orig torque hoping it works, or
3) does it mean the bearings are buggered and i need to strip down, drift out and replace.

Chas

Liam

posted on 29/8/06 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
So the MOT tester must have felt some wheel wobble... Are you sure it definately isn't a wishbone bush/rod end?

If it really is the bearing check the torque. Just set your wrench and try it - if it tightens then it weren't torqued properly.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 29/8/06 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
If the bearing has been running with play due to the nut coming slack - then it's knackered so replace.

If the preload is correct, then its knackered so replace.

The bearings on the other side have done exactly the same mileage, so replace as a precaution.

The consequences of a catastrophic failure are not woth thinking about.

Bite the bullet

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Chazzy

posted on 30/8/06 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
The play disappears with the brakes on, so its not suspension bits (shame).

I can still remember how hard it was to put the shells in straight using just a hammer and length of rod, worrying that i'd slip and gouge out a chunk of the surface...
what diy methods have others used?
Chas

mcerd1

posted on 30/8/06 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
If the bearing has been running with play due to the nut coming slack - then it's knackered so replace.

If the preload is correct, then its knackered so replace.

The bearings on the other side have done exactly the same mileage, so replace as a precaution.

The consequences of a catastrophic failure are not woth thinking about.

Bite the bullet

Seconded

Sierra bearings are no-adjustable, you just torque them - so if there's too much play you'll need new ones

my old fiesta had ajustable ones where you tighten the nut untill you get just the right amount of play on the bearing - these are the type you could just tighten a bit and maybe repace them once you've had to do it a few times

mcerd1

posted on 30/8/06 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chazzy
what diy methods have others used?
Chas

I used my dad's 30t press - its so much easier

you could use a very big vice but most probibly arn't that strong

if you know a garage or someone in a garage that would let you use there press (or do it for you for a couple of £)

otherwise ....

NS Dev

posted on 30/8/06 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
check they are tight. not unknown to loosen, especially if there was a dink in the hub carrier that prevented the bearing race from fully seating when you first tightnened up the big nut.

Try tightening it up first, simple "torque" approach, as bloody tight as you can get it.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.