Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SVA/MOT emissions
richard thomas

posted on 15/6/07 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
SVA/MOT emissions

Just for info,

I know that there's some good info around having no MOT for 3 years after SVA on a 'Q' plate car but....

Took mine for an MOT today, 1 year after the MOT that was done prior to SVA last year

The SVA emissions was a real bitch to get through ( bike engine, year 2000 ) but at todays MOT..." Q plate - no need for emissions then, pal..."

Outstanding, especially as I have removed the Cat

Hope this adds to the confusion.

And yes, my log book does state the emissions tested at the SVA!

Discuss?

fesycresy

posted on 15/6/07 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
I'll pop the Corsa around at the end of the month

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

richard thomas

posted on 15/6/07 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Sorted!

fesycresy

posted on 15/6/07 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
I thought their 'puter automatically asked for the test to be carried out and not at the discretion of the tester ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

richard thomas

posted on 15/6/07 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Nope...or he has some wicked software?

Mind you, this is Glamorgan where we still think of electricity as 'that weird wiggly stuff that comes out of the holes in them walls...' - his MOT rig might not be as new fangled as some?

[Edited on 15/6/07 by richard thomas]

alister667

posted on 15/6/07 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
My last MOT required an emissions test. The SVA limits are on my V5. Luckily the testers in NI were refusing to do emissions testing for health reasons (really!), so I got through on the retest when they then didn't do the test.

I have rang up the DVLNI (like the DVLA only on an amateur basis) and asked where and when did the rules change from Emissions at SVA then (because of the Q-plate) no MOT emissions, to emissions at both. Had I known this during the build I would have either used an older engine or an FI engine.
Bar stewards.
I am sick to the back teeth of these little bureaucrats making up rules as they see fit.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 16/6/07 at 12:42 AM Reply With Quote
If you are on a "Q" plate anything on the logbook is completely irrelevant as the Mot manual clearly states that Q plate vehicles for emission purposes should be tested as pre 1971 IIRC

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
alister667

posted on 16/6/07 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
If you are on a "Q" plate anything on the logbook is completely irrelevant as the Mot manual clearly states that Q plate vehicles for emission purposes should be tested as pre 1971 IIRC

But, but computer says NO!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
richard thomas

posted on 17/6/07 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Not at the one I used....is there a manual override?

alister667

posted on 17/6/07 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
There well be, but the guys in Craigavon weren't willing to change.

I think I might write to someone in Swansea and ask for clarification on this issue. Does anyone know of the department that makes decisions in the DVLNI?

alister667

posted on 28/6/07 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Just a wee update, I got the wee car through the MOT today at Armagh test centre, they were very nice about it all and never even mentioned emissions. Perhaps sanity has broken out in the DVLNI?

The guy was so interested (possibly in building one himself) I wound up giving him the locostbuilders web site address - so I'm going to have to watch what I say!!

Chazzy

posted on 28/6/07 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
glad othe rpeople are confused too!
SVA letter of date of engine, tested to that year
1st MOT (prior to SVA) set to year limits
2nd MOT failed on emmissions, had to proove year of engine (get letter from home)
3rd MOT, different place, visual check, bit then he didn;t spot mt speedo didn;t work either so guessed he'd been slack.
4 th MOT )Stated it was a kit car so visual check only. smiles all round!

roll on the visual check.
Chas

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.