Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: To Earth or not to Earth - fuel Tank
saigonij

posted on 24/6/07 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
To Earth or not to Earth - fuel Tank

I have an ally fuel tank.

The build manual says to rest the tank on some closed cell foam to insulate it fro mteh body. Some other people have earthed their tank.

Whats everyones thoughts on this?

rusty nuts

posted on 24/6/07 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
If you are using a fuel gauge you will have to fit an earth to the sender unit at least
mookaloid

posted on 24/6/07 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
At some point the sender for the fuel gauge will need a return to earth, thissame lead effectively earths my tank as it is fitted to one of the sender securing screws.

HTH

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

bigrich

posted on 24/6/07 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
mines sat on foam tape like yours but bolted to the chssis to provide the earth

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

Simon

posted on 24/6/07 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Agree with Rusty. Fuel gauge is the only reason to earth, as it'll be insulated from the tank.

Tank itself doesn't need earthing (though it is anyway through petrol).

ATB

Simon

britishtrident

posted on 24/6/07 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Insulate as in insulate from vibration not electrically insulated.

Petrol dosen't conduct in fact a nasty static charge can build up when storage tanks are getting filled so privision has to be made to earth bond the tanker to the tank.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

robertst

posted on 24/6/07 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
what about the filler nozzle? you really dont want static discharging from there to the pump in the gas station! big boom

Tom

Chippy

posted on 24/6/07 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
I have always understood that the tank "should" be earthed, as a precaution against the build up of static. I earthed mine, filler kneck to tank, tank to chassis. The reason, (I have been told), to do this is that static can build up in the filler, and when you fill up at your local station a spark "can" occur when you put the pump hose into your filler, making a big pyrotechnic display of your pride and joy, plus reducing your eyebrows, and other parts to cinders. Whether this is true or not, for a couple of bits of wire, I prefer not to find out, nor take the chance. You pay's your money, etc Ray

Damb! robertst beat me to it.

[Edited on 24-6-07 by Chippy]

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

GaryM

posted on 24/6/07 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Excuse my ignorance but how can any part of the car be 'earthed' when it sits on rubber tyres?
saigonij

posted on 24/6/07 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
being "earthed" refers to the negative side of the battery being connected to the chassis. when something is earthed, its then said to be connected to the chassis - or to the negative side of the battery.
locoboy

posted on 24/6/07 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
My tank is not earthed, - as far as i can tell!

How can i earth it without bolting anything to it as i dont want to drill it and bolt an earth terminal to it.

Can imy cable be bonded onto it with anything?

ATB
Locoboy

Chazzy

posted on 24/6/07 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
you might want to earth it so it is at the same potential (voltage) as the chassis, this will stop it sparking to the chassis. but as GaryM said, you could still have a massive potential relative to the actual earth (think of the shock you get getting out of your tin top)
<thinking mode ON> you don't tend to slide your bum getting out of a locost, less friction, less charging. also you tend to hold onto something as you get out, roll bar etc so you don't build up such a difference (getting out of a tin top you may hold onto the interior plastic door handle)

In any case the ACTUAL risk of a spark igniting the fumes from the filler neck or small, thrers a myth busting website (can't remember which one ) that tried to ignite a pool of petrol with a lit fag end and failed.

Yes, they do earth F1 cars in the pits and they do put earthing straps on tankers before they flow petrol presumably to remove the small risk that is present.

you can always just cross your fingers!

chas

locoboy

posted on 24/6/07 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
I suppose i cold always jubilee clip an earth cable drom the filler neck to the tank neck and then take the cable from the tank neck to thc chassis?

ATB
Locoboy

Chippy

posted on 24/6/07 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
locoboy

That is exactly how mine is done. Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

locoboy

posted on 24/6/07 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Fair enough then

ATB
Locoboy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.