Board logo

Fire Extinguisher to MSA regs
mark chandler - 9/3/08 at 07:41 PM

Chaps

When I used to race a landrover you had to have a minimum 2.5ltr Foam (AFFF) Fire Extinguisher.

Anyone know what it is for basic sprinting, hill climbs etc. I have had a google and it just seems to say you need one.

Regards Mark

madrallysport - 9/3/08 at 10:05 PM

Mark

over here we run to msa rules, we only need one hand held 2.5l AFFF.

Rob Palin - 9/3/08 at 10:09 PM

THe 2008 Blue Book says that Sprint & Hill Climb cars must have 2.25 litre AFF extinguishers which discharge both into the engine bay and into the cockpit. There must be two points of activation too - one for the driver and one on the exterior for marshals.

They made this the minimum requirement a couple of years ago for circuit racing, but this is direct from the HillClimb & Sprint section of this year's book (pages 315 & 166).

bjw970s - 9/3/08 at 11:12 PM

If you need one, goto Peter Lloyd Rallying, about £90 - cheaper than most

minitici - 10/3/08 at 09:03 AM

For Hillclimb and Sprints you DO NOT require a fire extinguisher - however it is recommended (P315 2008 MSA yearbook).

Rob Palin - 10/3/08 at 07:25 PM

Page 315 is the bit i was quoting and i took what's written as that you *must* have an extinguisher but that the specific places it discharged into were only recommended, not mandatory (like choosing to aim one nozzle at the fuel tank, rather than an open cockpit, for example).

Interestingly it uses the same phrasing for roll over bars, whilst everything else specifically says "must comply" or "mandatory". It does say that "all cars must comply with the following" at the top of that section and i'd be surprised if a competition car of pretty much any description did not have to have a fire extinguisher though. It might be the case, but it doesn't seem like a good idea.