Board logo

MK gearbox mount
scoobyis2cool - 31/5/04 at 11:58 PM

I'm at the stage where I'm mounting my gearbox and I need to lower it by about 1.5-2" relative to where it would sit if i used the standard sierra mount.

Has anyone used the MK mount and can they tell me how far it lowers the gearbox? A photo would be ideal if possible

Thanks

Pete

scoobyis2cool - 1/6/04 at 10:31 AM

My problem is that if I mount the gearbox using the normal mount the alternator sits too far forward and fouls a chassis rail. If I drop the gearbox then the alternator moves back just far enough to miss the rail.

Have you got any idea if I can get hold of a lowered mount from anywhere?

Thanks

Pete

nick205 - 1/6/04 at 02:43 PM

Pete,

I have the same issue with my Indy as well, but I am planning to make some spacer blocks to lower the mount by about 25mm. At the moment I've got the mount on top of the plates in the tranny tunnel, but using the spacers I will monut it from below. This should drop it enough to help with the alternator and also improve the angle at which the prop runs.

What have you done for an alternator and mounting bracket?

Cheers

Nick

mad-butcher - 1/6/04 at 05:40 PM

maybe i'm missing somethink here but i would have thought that you would want the prop shaft in as straight a line as possible
tony

MK7 - 1/6/04 at 09:15 PM

What Snoopy says is, I think, best: mount the gearbox with the small crossmember that's already part of the gearbox assembly. Mount it on top of the plates that MK have welded in place for this purpose.

Then buy and fit a small alternator from the likes of a Diahatsu Charade, around £35.00 from most scrappies.

If you lower the gearbox then you will have to raise the rise height of your car to get a decent ground clearance.

If you don't raise the ride height then you will be at risk of severe damage as the gearbox already sits around 20mm below the undeside of the bottom chassis rail.

HTH

scoobyis2cool - 2/6/04 at 12:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
At the moment I've got the mount on top of the plates in the tranny tunnel, but using the spacers I will monut it from below.

What have you done for an alternator and mounting bracket?

Cheers

Nick

Hi Nick,

One thing to be aware of if you are planning on mounting the gearbox from underneath the mounting plates is that the sierra GB mount will not fit from underneath without modification because it is too wide. I discovered this yesterday when I was trying to decide on the final mounting position.

As for the alternator I have made a plate which bolts to the engine via 3 of the 4 bolt holes, and I have then drilled 3 more holes higher up and towards the back of the engine to move the alternator away from the steering linkage and the chassis rail. I am just figuring out the final shape so I can get one made up in steel, I'll post some pics when it's finished

Cheers,

Pete