Board logo

busa lump - does it need dry sumping?
Flick - 6/5/12 at 10:01 PM

hi
thought one of you might know for sure. I dont think it does but:- if the engine stays at the same angle, same position (being chain driven) does it really need dry sumping? Also if i were to then add a turbo into the equation would it then? Just trying to be a skin flint and save some money
thanks

Bigboystoys - 6/5/12 at 11:12 PM

Dry sumping is the very best way to stop oil surge but can be expensive. At very least you need a baffle and ideally an accusump kit. I was running just baffle last year in my k4 gsxr 1000 engine ( very similar block) and managed to seize my balance shaft as a result of oil surge. Luckily I spotted it before it killed my engine and stripped and removed balance shaft. Best person to speak to is andy at ab performance.
Cheers
Sam

noc231073 - 7/5/12 at 06:22 AM

The answer is no it doesn't need to be dry sump if your are using it the same way as is was in the bike .. All the auto grass boys use them that way and don't see the need to dry sump

Flick - 7/5/12 at 12:34 PM

thanks guys. didnt think it really needed dry sumping. think ill stick with the baffle and accusump and see how it goes. fingers crossed!

[Edited on 7/5/12 by Flick]