Board logo

HOW LOW IS YOURS.........
matt.c - 28/2/08 at 11:21 PM

Can you BEC guys please tell me how low or how close to the ground is your sump?

tom windmill - 28/2/08 at 11:23 PM

we usually aim for around 4" clearance with ours...

Cheers Tom

bigrich - 28/2/08 at 11:27 PM

same as Tom said about 100mm or so

graememk - 28/2/08 at 11:28 PM

best not look under my car

snapper - 28/2/08 at 11:29 PM

What engine are you running and have you fitted a shortened sump?

The ideal is to have the now shortened sump level with the bottom of the bellhousing.

If your sump is a bit low then a strong sump guard at least is worth concidering, only problem with a low sump guard is that when you bottom out, for you will, you will have no steering and no brakes

Oops didn't read the BEC bit, 4 inches it is then.... i'll get my coat..... and stop drinking the beer.

[Edited on 28/2/08 by snapper]

tomblyth - 29/2/08 at 05:47 AM

inch lower than the chassis rails I'll tell you if it ever hits the ground!

smart51 - 29/2/08 at 08:03 AM

My chassis rails are 100mm from the ground. The sump is about 25mm lower, though I've never measured it. It goes over speed bumps but I do slow down for them.

BenB - 29/2/08 at 08:10 AM

I've got 85-90mm ground to sump clearance. No problems so far but I do slow down a fair bit for speed bumps...... Obviously how far forward / back the lowest point is effects things- if its near the front axle you'll have fewer clearance problems (for a given sump clearance) than if the lowest sump point is right next to the firewall....

nitram38 - 29/2/08 at 08:40 AM

On the motaleira, my R1 sump is level with the underside of two rails. I will also be fitting a skid plate over it, fitted to the rails.
Fortunately I have added protection in the form of Air adjustable suspension.
I can either drop the car to ground level when parked (helps getting in and out) or raise it to 150mm clearance for speedbumps, at the flick of a switch.
The car will be set up to run at 75mm during normal driving.

richard thomas - 29/2/08 at 07:19 PM

'bout 4 fingers.....

mackei23b - 29/2/08 at 08:44 PM

I have a feeling my Indy with a ZX9R is about the same.

Cheers

Ian

quote:
Originally posted by smart51
My chassis rails are 100mm from the ground. The sump is about 25mm lower, though I've never measured it. It goes over speed bumps but I do slow down for them.

ChrisS - 29/2/08 at 09:34 PM

Ive fitted my R1 with the sump level with the bottom rail so it doesnt stick out at all, and then i have about 125mm clearance to the ground at the front and 135mm at the rea, although thats not necesarily final until its on the road and i setup the suspension. It looks about right tho.

matt.c - 29/2/08 at 09:59 PM

Hmm? Are you using the standard zx9r sump? Mine sits about 2 inches from the floor!!!!!!! How come your sits so much higher than mine? Can you post some pics of you engine bay and sump please.

Thanks

matt

quote:
Originally posted by mackei23b

Cheers

Ian

quote:

mackei23b - 10/3/08 at 03:30 PM

Hi Matt

I can re-measure it. However I did make up my own cradle for the Indy.

Cheers

Ian

quote:
Originally posted by matt.c
Hmm? Are you using the standard zx9r sump? Mine sits about 2 inches from the floor!!!!!!! How come your sits so much higher than mine? Can you post some pics of you engine bay and sump please.

Thanks

matt

quote:
Originally posted by mackei23b

Cheers

Ian

quote: