Board logo

propshaft?
MK chippy - 21/9/08 at 11:00 PM

Hi guys im building an mk indy with an R1 engine and will eventually need to get a propshaft made up but dont know where to go and what info i will need?
Any help would be great!
Cheers

Dave

PAUL FISHER - 21/9/08 at 11:44 PM

It depends how much you want to spend realy,the cheapest option 1,is if you get a old sierra propshaft,give it to mk,tell them the lenght from your diff pinion flange to your gearbox output adaptor,they will shorten your prop,and fit a new universal joint.
Or option 2 is to get one made up by a proshaft company,like bailey and morris.
Or opyion 3 the most expensive option,is get one made up by a company like bailey and morris,but have a torque resilient tube built into it,this will reduce the strain on the gearbox and final drive,and will also reduce the clucking noise you often get with BEC.
Costs OPTION 1 around £100
OPTION 2 around £180
OPTION 3 around £280

Paul TigerB6 - 22/9/08 at 07:22 AM

I'd strongly suggest option 3 if you can stretch to it. As said it will reduce the strain on your gearbox so hopefully will pay for itself in the long term.

Richard Quinn - 22/9/08 at 08:15 AM

Also a vote for option 3 (but from Dunning and Fairbank - Top blokes!)

PeterW - 22/9/08 at 09:19 AM

Sorry for the hijack...

I've got to get mine sorted too, but due to having a Tiger Cat and a 'Blade engine I can't get a straight line between engine and prop.

Most props I have seen use UJ's - is there any value, or is it possible to use CV joints as I am sure someone has said they are more resilient to constantly running out of line.

Any cooments or am I talking ballcocks..?

Peter

Richard Quinn - 22/9/08 at 09:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by PeterW
use CV joints as I am sure someone has said they are more resilient to constantly running out of line.

Yes, but not at the speed that a propshaft turns at!

hobbsy - 22/9/08 at 09:44 AM

Going slightly off topic here but is it cost effective to modify an existing prop (like the one on my R1 Fury) to be a TRT prop?

I understand the concept but not 100% on how its implemented.

Or is it more cost effective to give them the existing one to copy the dims from but make a new one from scratch and sell the old one?

Any idea of costs?

I've emailed Dunning and Fairbank as someone else said they were good too.

--

UPDATE: Just heard back from Jon Dunning (quick response!) and he said £145 + VAT + carriage to modify the existing or £265 for a new one (+ VAT as well I assume).

Might go for that then, spesh if its going to look after my gearbox a bit better

[Edited on 22/9/08 by hobbsy]

marmot0 - 22/9/08 at 10:19 AM

Got mine made up for £160 with trt from JWE engineering, the turned it around in 24 hours

hobbsy - 22/9/08 at 10:49 AM

Hmm, cheers for the reply Marmot (I'm going to cut off your Johnson!!!) I'll give them an email as well.

So that was £160 as an outright purchase with TRT?

Bob C - 22/9/08 at 11:58 AM

Couple of things; 1) round here there seem to be an endless number of small propshaft companies (OK I regularly see 3....) any of which will mate a prop to you diff & engine flanges, balance it & worry about critical speeds for you, all for rather less than the "big names" (e.g. the last prop I bought was about £60 brand new)
2) Instead of a TRT I used the standard sierra "donut" rotoflex - it's still there, working fine, after 650 whole miles!!!
Actually they're quite expensive new - about £45 from memory