Board logo

FINALLY - fitting day for my XE!!
stevegough - 22/1/10 at 08:55 PM

Had a really great day today, and I am really pleased with the result of months of trial fits, measuring, planning, and modifications to the chassis.

Fantastic feeling - who knows how euphoric I'll be when I finally get it on the road!

I would like to say a quick thank - you to all the guys on here who have helped and advised me along the way - it is great to have this backup, gives me the ability to tackle it with some confidence.

8 new photos in my archive including this one........ Rescued attachment a tight fit, but a fit.jpg
Rescued attachment a tight fit, but a fit.jpg

scootz - 22/1/10 at 08:55 PM

speedyxjs - 22/1/10 at 09:00 PM

Nice one

Cant wait for the start up vid

Xtreme Kermit - 22/1/10 at 09:19 PM

Looking good!

Canada EH! - 22/1/10 at 09:46 PM

Looks very nice, is it the photo or is the dizzy very close to the frame, ie: could an oil pan strike push the dizzy into the frame?

stevegough - 22/1/10 at 10:25 PM

No, it is the way the photo has been taken - the diz is about 2 to 3 inches above the frame, but thanks for your comment!

loggyboy - 22/1/10 at 11:09 PM

Are you retaining the sfi box and standard injection or is that just there before the new fueling system comes along?

stevegough - 23/1/10 at 08:56 AM

Keeping it totally standard - Multipoint injection, standard throttlebody, SFI box and mototronic ECU.

One of the biggest problems I have had with this is getting the massive cast ally inlet manifold to fit in the chassis.

Also, the SFI box is going to have to be poking out the bonnet - either that or in a bulge or scoop.

omega 24 v6 - 23/1/10 at 09:11 AM

The inlet side of the efi is mahoosive thats why i went megasquirt. You could try using a powercap and remote airbox though.
You may still need to cut the bonnet but not as much as the sfi would need.

[Edited on 23/1/10 by omega 24 v6]

stevegough - 23/1/10 at 10:12 AM

Thanks for the reply omega, I was originally going to fit a powercap, but even the fuel regulator is above the bonnet line, so there is going to have to be some chopping of bonnet anyway - the exhaust also exits through the bonnet - there isn't going to be much of it left!

Also, I rather like the looks of the SFI box!

By the way, is Mahoosive a scottish word for 'quite big' ?

loggyboy - 23/1/10 at 10:42 AM

There is cheaper option than the powercap (mantzel/courtenay sytle), you can buy an adapter plate (ebay/migweb etc) and put the pipe from an ecotec engine, that would save some space.

Personally id just keep an eye out for some cheap 40/45s.

ritchunt - 29/1/10 at 11:27 PM

i looked into this before i went down the carb route as there was no way i could fit the standard injection manifold into my locost chassis without a huge buldge in the bonnet theres a company on ebay selling a fuel rail adapter so that you can remove that regulator that sticks right up then you just use a inline injection regulator ill try to find a link for it

ritchunt - 29/1/10 at 11:32 PM

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/C20LET-Turbo-Calibra-Engine-Fuel-Rail-Regulator-Adapter_W0QQitemZ380200801500QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_S M?hash=item5885bbd4dc

stevegough - 30/1/10 at 03:06 PM

ta for the info, Rich - however, I don't think the fuel reg is going to be too much of a problem, other than the sensor tube is almost vertical, and the rubber pipe will chafe on the underside of the bonnet.

It is a week since I started this thread, and I have had time to not fix, but (loose) fit the scuttle, nosecone and bonnet - the fit is FAR better than I dared to wish for - with a powercap, the bonnet will need a small scoop or bulge, but that's all!

See the photo - starting to look like a car, now!!

stevegough - 30/1/10 at 03:14 PM

This was the situation with the nosecone when I trial - fitted it to measure up + make the engine mount - it looked like I was going to be cutting.

The difference between then and now is that the side panels have lifted the GRP positions, and I now have about 5 / 7 mm between the top of the engine and the nosecone.

Magic! Rescued attachment nosecone lifted.jpg
Rescued attachment nosecone lifted.jpg