Board logo

brake problem???
ritchunt - 10/7/09 at 05:22 PM

ive just took my locost out for its final spin with the gud old 1300 xflow in it ive just fitted sum bremsport 4 pot calipers to the front, and i still have drums on the rear when im brakeing its just locking up? is this a good thing (the brakes are really good) or should they not lock up only under heavy braking how could i avoid this?

mookaloid - 10/7/09 at 05:38 PM

I assume it's just the fronts locking up?

You clearly have more braking than you need

Try not to press the pedal too hard

ritchunt - 10/7/09 at 06:11 PM

no its the back, the bias is set pretty much equel, do you think it should be brakeing more to the front?

adithorp - 10/7/09 at 08:01 PM

You don't want the rears locking before the front. Adjust the bias to give more fornt brakes.

adrian

Ivan - 10/7/09 at 08:45 PM

I would guess what is happening is that the new callipers have a much bigger piston area than the old so you need more pedal movement to get the front brakes to bite. As a result you are over pressurising the rear brakes causing them to lock so definitely put more bias to the front and if you run out of adjustment and/or pedal travel you will have to start looking at changing the front master cylinder and/or the rear brake cylinders sizes,

ritchunt - 10/7/09 at 08:53 PM

ok thanks ill have a go 2moro ive can ajust them quite a bit so ill see whst happens, i was just unsure as didnt have this problem before thats all

chris_smith - 10/7/09 at 09:43 PM

alter your bias so the fronts are locking before the rear or youll end up facing the wrong way

britishtrident - 10/7/09 at 10:29 PM

Dosen't say much for the efficiency of the bling expensive calipers.

mookaloid - 12/7/09 at 11:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Dosen't say much for the efficiency of the bling expensive calipers.

indeed