Board logo

Wanted: Red Top Parts
SALAD - 4/11/10 at 11:56 AM

Does anyone have an EARLY XE engine that they would be willing to send me some parts from?.....for payment ofcourse!
I'm changing the cambelt train from late to early set-up.

I need:
Flywheel
Backing plate behiend pullies
Pedistalls for the tensioner / rollers
Crank pully
I think that's it for now....??

[Edited on 4/11/10 by SALAD]

loggyboy - 4/11/10 at 12:02 PM

OT - but why change to the old set up?

SALAD - 4/11/10 at 12:06 PM

Early rollers and tensioners are metal as opposed to plastic for the late set-up.

I am also going to do away with the tensioner and use another roller, then tension the belt via the water pump so there is no moving parts so to speak.

MikeRJ - 4/11/10 at 06:46 PM

The early XE tensioner was bomb proof, there is no need to mess around trying to improve it. I still had the original tensioner on my GTE 16v at 140k miles, though I did re-grease the bearing a few times.

perksy - 4/11/10 at 10:17 PM

Main problem with the belt tensioner was the spring
They can break and cause problems

Your a braver man than me running a tensioner for 140k miles

If you want to tension the belt using the water pump you can buy the 2 steel idler pulleys from Autovaux
Think they are about £35 each

If you can't source the bits you need on here, try Migweb

There is a way of modifying the standard tensioner so that it becomes an idler by cutting its mounting plate and using a machined washer
But i'd go for the 2 standard idler method personally

[Edited on 4/11/10 by perksy]

ritchunt - 14/11/10 at 07:01 PM

By early what do you mean, because i have a astra gte fly wheel if its anygood but its the pot type?

SALAD - 15/11/10 at 09:49 AM

The pot type flywheel is a late one. The early engines had a distributor and a flat flywheel as opposed to a coilpack and pot flywheel.
Thank you for the offer though.

ritchunt - 19/11/10 at 09:24 PM

Strange the engine thats in my car came out a dizzy calibra and had a flat one, and my spare engine is out a gte which has a pot one, never mind anyway i have one of each mate plus other stuff if your interested

SALAD - 21/11/10 at 04:41 PM

U2U sent Ritch.