Board logo

what to cover MDF with
dunk3 - 19/3/11 at 10:22 PM

I have made a boot cover for my mk indy out of MDF, what is the best thing to cover it with. or can you paint it,

[Edited on 19/3/11 by dunk3]

BenB - 19/3/11 at 10:27 PM

very thin foam from Woolies and some vinyl works for me.

mad4x4 - 20/3/11 at 01:12 AM

I found that a camping mat from the hike shop is a good hi-density foam that works well under vinyl.

Used this under the vinyl on my dash and it is firm but squashy and can be shaped easily and is cheap.

snapper - 20/3/11 at 06:46 AM

Slightest bit of damp and MDF blows, I would recomend marine ply for your cover.
I have used camping mat for firmer feel, yoga mat for softer, covered with vinyl

Daddylonglegs - 20/3/11 at 07:10 AM

I agree with snapper, MDF is terrible for taking on moisture! Either marine ply or at the least WBP (Weather & Boil Proof - i.e. external) or maybe normal but treated first.

HTH

Hammerhead - 20/3/11 at 09:12 AM

Out of interest, why are people covering with foam? Why not just vinyl straight on marine ply?

JoelP - 20/3/11 at 11:00 AM

mdf is so bad with moisture that even paint blows the edges!

Mr Whippy - 20/3/11 at 11:07 AM

you could wrap the MDF in cling film and tape before covering to help keep out moisture

Antnicuk - 20/3/11 at 11:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Hammerhead
Out of interest, why are people covering with foam? Why not just vinyl straight on marine ply?

It gives a nice padded OEM feel. I did it with my dash.

blakep82 - 20/3/11 at 11:55 AM

i've got a rabbit hutch/hen house, covered with about 1.5 square meters of MDF covered in roofing felt, was fine when it went on, its now doubled in thickness and nearly too heavy to lift with hand.
use marine ply instead!

MDF is basically paper

[Edited on 20/3/11 by blakep82]

stevegough - 21/3/11 at 07:45 PM

I agree with all that's been said about MDF - I made a Dovecote out of MDF last summer - and I gave it three coats of yacht varnish, then the outside was further primed, undercoated and 2 coats of lovely powder-blue paint. The blue bit is ok at the moment, but the panels (floors which had just yacht varnish) have swollen quite a bit.

My boot cover is made with varnished ply, then covered with just black Vinyl.

Description
Description