Board logo

Paint correction, blisters and bubbles
mark chandler - 12/11/11 at 10:32 AM

Hello chaps

Looking for some advice, not on the 7 but my tin top

I have a couple of blisters, rear arch due to rust and front wing due to, well I do not know as a composite panel.

Description
Description

Bottom blister
Bottom blister

I am planning on spot blasting the rear arch and then touching in, the front blister is really my concern as how do I deal with this?

Slit with a stanley knife and try and glue back, what glue is this practical?
Chop out, fill and polish ? if so do I sand out, cut out neatly or something else?

The car is lovely so I do not want to have panels sprayed and blended at this stage.

Description
Description

Cheers Mark

macc man - 12/11/11 at 04:33 PM

If the paint has blistered it will be rusty underneath. I would bite the bullet and sand fill and repair it. If the car is worth it get it
professionally done especially with metalic finishes.

Nickp - 12/11/11 at 04:52 PM

Surely there's a Hammerite colour somewhere near it??

Peteff - 12/11/11 at 05:21 PM

Halfords wheel silver looks close If it's bubbling on metal there's something getting in from the back so it needs doing properly. On plastic it may be a reaction to something getting behind during a previous repair.

britishtrident - 12/11/11 at 05:34 PM

The puzzle is an apparent water blister on composite panel?

For the colour check if you can get it in a Hycote "Double Acrylic " aerosol.

Unbelievable as it may seem you can get 2k lacquer in aeroso.l

ADV. - 29/11/11 at 11:30 AM

Have you corrected the paintwork with rotary at all?

I am wondering if the bumper has seen some rotary action, got hot and you have paint blister caused by heat and moisture in the bumper.

gdische - 29/11/11 at 01:47 PM

Lovely car.

Why not take it to Chiltern Aston for an opinion - they're always helpful and they know these cards very well.

Geoff