Board logo

Boot Box Fitted, what next?
Guinness - 28/1/06 at 04:06 PM

Just fitted the MK boot box to the Indy. I just had a piece of flat ally for the SVA.

Boot Box Fitted
Boot Box Fitted

But as usual I haven't really thought this through. It's now just a big open well in which stuff is going to slide around or get blown out of

I know I could cut down the ally sheet and make a solid lid, but I'm thinking that would limit me to getting stuff into the boot and limit the capacity.

I am thinking of using a cargo net like Humbug has, but stretched across the boot area. But this means anyone can see into it, not that I'll be leaving the car anywhere dodgy or the crown jewels in the boot, but you know.

Anyone got any other / better suggestions?

Cheers

Mike

Humbug - 28/1/06 at 05:29 PM

I don't think you would limit access too much by fitting a lid - if you made the lid oversize (maybe even going right to the edges of the black area), and had hinges along the front edge it would open right the way to the edge of the box, it would only limit you a bit when the lid hit the roll bar - almost vertical. Some adhesive foam underneath the sides and rear, and some U-channel on the hinge edge and a lock or two to keep the light-fingered out, and Robert is your mother's brother!

Sort of like this (except with the hinges underneath) Rescued attachment MK Boot Box Fitted.jpg
Rescued attachment MK Boot Box Fitted.jpg

C10CoryM - 29/1/06 at 02:56 AM

How about like HumBug suggested, but using hinges that come apart easily so you can remove the lid for when you need to stuff more beer in back. A lot of aftermarket sunroofs have hinges that let you remove the whole glass.

DarrenW - 29/1/06 at 09:55 PM

Ooooooohhhh, you posh northern blurk!!!

Where are you putting the taps, looks like a sink!, have you fitted a plug to let the watter oot?

Ive been thinking along similar lines but alternatively wondering about fitting an ali grill on top of the cover and using bungees etc. Colin, the design guru at Mac#1, gave me an idea about using billet ali and fashioning some smart tapered bars, bolted to the cover with spacers.

Could you fit some rigs to the base of your sink for bungees to strap to?

02GF74 - 30/1/06 at 10:17 AM

press studs and pvc cover? or if you want to get fancy, how about a roller boot cover - the sort you get in cars, abit like a roller blind, obvisoulys needs to be trimmed.

DarrenW - 31/1/06 at 09:50 AM

Get some optics to mount to the roll bar. make some cash at the shows running a bar. The sink can collect the drips - sell them on like a reverse top shelf.