Board logo

How soon we forget...
David Jenkins - 26/12/03 at 10:30 PM

I've been in the garage doing my front mudguard brackets... part of this involves a couple of short welds in 20mm x 5mm steel strip.

I haven't done any significant welding for several months - and it showed! It looked like bird poo! Last time I welded I was turning out some quite respectable work using the same kit and materials, but this time - cr*p!

Next time I'll do a bit of practice rather than go straight in on the real work...

Grizzle over!

David

Stu16v - 27/12/03 at 01:32 PM

Check to make sure the spool of mig wire hasnt gone rusty as well.....

kingr - 28/12/03 at 12:42 AM

And that your gas hasn't run out!

Kingr

westdown - 28/12/03 at 09:50 AM

Hi

Sorry to change the subject slightly, what are the mirriors you have fitted, where are they from, how much and will they be high enough for the sva

Dave

blueshift - 28/12/03 at 01:00 PM

Just to enthuse, I finally got our MIG working properly with help and clues from Mark Allanson (thanks!) and am feeling particularly pleased with myself at laying down a couple of lovely looking weld beads. ok, it was on 3mm plate with high current so nothing special, but that was my first MIG welding after having done some arc before.. I love MIG

Mark Allanson - 28/12/03 at 02:44 PM

If you leave your MIG for some time without using it, spray the wire spool with WD40, it prevents it rusting up, and wont contaminate the welds, take out the contact tip and remove the shroud, take the pressure off the wire feed tensioner and wind the gas regulator right out.

David Jenkins - 28/12/03 at 03:10 PM

Good policy, Mark... I shall do those things shortly!

David

blueshift - 28/12/03 at 03:58 PM

Ah, should have read this before I sent that u2u. wd40 it is