Board logo

GPS sat nav
steve m - 30/11/07 at 06:37 PM

I have just been informed, by the 7yr old, that i am to get a sat nav for xmas from my wife,
as she is a non driver! i would like to know that i get the best for me, and not her!

we really only need it for holidays with caravan and the odd occasion i venture out of sussex

so in the price range upto £200 what is the best deal/ best one to go for

worX - 30/11/07 at 06:42 PM

I know people comment on all the different Navman types, but I've just recently bought a TomTom One Europe XL for £170 (ish, can't remember exact amount) and that includes delivery.

The Europe bit is obvious, and the XL bit means it's a widescreen. I think it's really good, it's very very simple to use, and it's nice and loud, so you can hear the directions clearly.

I am very happy with it all in all!

Steve

Jon Ison - 30/11/07 at 06:42 PM

Can only speak for one, I have a navman, had trouble free two years from it and been all over Europe with it.

I'm sure others are just as good.

graememk - 30/11/07 at 06:53 PM

i like the tom tom myself but there again its the only one i've ever used.

afj - 30/11/07 at 07:11 PM

tom tom for me its a go 700 a bit old now but still good

Litemoth - 30/11/07 at 07:19 PM

Tom Tom One UK & Eire Christmas Cracker Edition for £127 here: L INKY

[Edited on 30/11/07 by Litemoth]

Danozeman - 30/11/07 at 07:21 PM

Tom tom for me too. Mines on a pda so its more useable for other things. Plus all the downloads and upgrades for it are free.

I had a bluemedia navteq one before which was good but not the best. It had its last straw when it tried to send me through a pedestrian town centre. I got tomtom shortly after and it is soooo much better. Theres some good deals about at the min for them.

afj - 30/11/07 at 07:23 PM

ive still got a tom tom 2 on a hp palm thing still works fine but i never use it

martyn_16v - 30/11/07 at 08:18 PM

I've got Tom Tom Navigator on my pda, really easy to use, although my maps are now getting noticeably out of date. Every now and then I find myself on a new bypass somewhere, with the tomtom insisting i'm in the middle of a field and going a bit mentalist.

I've bought SWMBO a tomtom one XL for xmas to stop her nicking mine all the time. If she can use it anyone can

Moorron - 30/11/07 at 08:48 PM

im another for a psa with tom tom loaded. Look at the MIO 168 pda, its old now so might have a newer version out but its got an inbuild arial on the back so doesnt need any extra plug ins or wires on your dash which is the ONLY drawback to a pda GPS.

Good news is if you dont like tom tom then you can just upgrade to another type for alot less than replacing the lot. Also got vids and music on mine so its like a mobile gizmo too.

I have used it in the locost to check speed and the battery lasts 4 hours so can be taken for a long walk! lol

i think www.globalpositioningsystems is where i got it from over 2 years ogo. google them and have a look at their deals.

Moorron - 30/11/07 at 08:56 PM

wow just found the older mio168 for just over £100

http://www.pentagongps.co.uk/mitac-mio-168-pocket-pc-pda-with-intergrated-gps-antenna-i195.html?kw=mio%20168&fl=147436&gclid=CNPgspO6hZACFQlPM AodTU5epw

Get this then buy tom tom 6. well in the £200 budget.

i was playing old gameboy games on mine a year ago with some shareware emulator thingy. not while i was driving tho!

DorsetStrider - 30/11/07 at 09:00 PM

Garmin Nuvi 200 in halfords this weekend for £129.99 (I think)

balidey - 30/11/07 at 09:19 PM

I've tried out quite a few.
I really didn't like the Garmin ones, the noise of it just grated me.
I liked both the Navman and Tom Tom, but if i had to buy one with my own money i think i would get the Tom Tom.

But the best one of all? The oem stuff they put in Porsches, now you could tell the women given me directions fancied me. That was one of the longest lasting impressions of having a porsche for the weekend, the posh bird talking to me.

Alan B - 30/11/07 at 09:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DorsetStrider
Garmin Nuvi 200 in halfords this weekend for £129.99 (I think)

Just bought my second one of these (wife commendeered the first) for 165 dollars (about 82 quid)....love it great bit of kit..

bjw970s - 30/11/07 at 09:26 PM

Been using TomTom for about 7 years and more importantly the wife has one too - says that having looked at them all it was the most lady friendly.....

RazMan - 30/11/07 at 10:56 PM

Been using Navman for years now - faultless and accurate

joneh - 30/11/07 at 11:02 PM

u2u sent!

stuart_g - 30/11/07 at 11:12 PM

I've had Navman for the past couple of years. Look at the new Navman S70 £166.88 at dixons including bluetooth handsfree and european maps, bargain

Peteff - 30/11/07 at 11:28 PM

That Mitac Mio looks good at the price. My friend has one and I've used his without problems.

tom windmill - 30/11/07 at 11:33 PM

As a Halfords employee i am going to recommend either Garmin or TomTom.

The best sellers tend to be the :
TomTom one UK
tt1
tt1

TomTom one UK XL ( the wide screen version of the TomTom one)
tt1xl
tt1xl

Garmin Nuvi 200
garmin 200
garmin 200

garmin Nuvi 200 wide screen
Description
Description

All prices and further details can be found at http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/categorydisplay_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_categoryId_84370_langId_-1_top_Y_topCategoryId_84370 r />

If it makes any difference at all i would have a TomTom one XL They Rarely go wrong, Affordable, Fast and accurate

Cheers Tom

[Edited on 30/11/07 by tom windmill]

[Edited on 30/11/07 by tom windmill]

D Beddows - 1/12/07 at 01:45 AM

Very old tech I know but the Garmin i3 I got from ebay a few months ago for £60 is one of my best ever ebay bargains It does the job admirably if you just need to get from A to B and have enough common sense to ignore its occasional 'interesting' route suggestions and just let it recalculate a more sensible route as you drive

martyn_16v - 1/12/07 at 10:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
have enough common sense to ignore its occasional 'interesting' route suggestions

perhaps not for my mrs then

Hello honeybun

RazMan - 1/12/07 at 10:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
enough common sense to ignore its occasional 'interesting' route suggestions

Earlier this year swmbo got a ticket for going through a no entry sign which was in a bus lane!!

Her only defence to the copper was "but my satnav told me to go there"

Awww bless