Board logo

c20xe on injection?
ritchunt - 10/7/09 at 09:21 PM

anybody got a xe, but still running on injection? im planning to do this to keep the cost down untill i can afford some carbs and a ignition system, how much clearence is there from the top of the throttle body and the bonnet or is the bonnet to be modified to allow clearence for it because it looks like its gonna be close?

eccsmk - 10/7/09 at 09:36 PM

we did manage to keep injection on our xe in the avon
used the standard part of the manifold where the injectors fit
cut off the rest then created our onw manifold that joined to it
(sorry im not too good at explaining stuf )
sorry but i dont have any pics and the car is now sold

the only car ive seen the complete manifold on was a robin hood built by another friand of mine.
i hope some of that makes sense

ritchunt - 10/7/09 at 09:43 PM

so does that mean it fits and ill have the clearence without cutting a buldge in the sideof my bonnet for the power cap to stick out?

eccsmk - 10/7/09 at 09:45 PM

i would guess if yours is a locost that it wont fit with the standard mani.
you could alter yours as we did but it will need mapping afterwards
ill try find a pic

**edit**
we made the manifold like this but where the injection is we used the origional part joined with silicone hoses
HTH

[Edited on 10/7/09 by eccsmk]

ritchunt - 10/7/09 at 09:49 PM

r ok, well looks like im getting the jigsaw and fibre glass out then lol

eccsmk - 10/7/09 at 09:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ritchunt
r ok, well looks like im getting the jigsaw and fibre glass out then lol

stevegough - 11/7/09 at 08:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ritchunt
anybody got a xe, but still running on injection? im planning to do this to keep the cost down untill i can afford some carbs and a ignition system, how much clearence is there from the top of the throttle body and the bonnet or is the bonnet to be modified to allow clearence for it because it looks like its gonna be close?

You are going to run into the same problems as I did / as I still am / as I am going to.....

First, look at the trial fit photos in my archive - I am building a Luego Locost which is based closely on the biblical book chassis.

Next, read my posts under Luego - will be a few pages in now - quite a bit of advice and help in there.

post titles...
Wow! what a tight fit this XE engine is!
and
Trial fit XE shows up chassis mods needed - now sorted!

Since these posts, I have done quite a bit of work and - yes - it will go in with the original injection manifold, but like you, I am going to have to do some mods to the plastic bonnet and shave a tiny bit off the nose cone back edge.

One big help which I haven't mentioned much was lowering the gearbox mounting plate to below the chassis rails.

In fact, I don't think I have uploaded pics of the final positioning of the engine and gearbox - but I will do later this week.

I have done many, many hours of work and headscratching in the last two months on this - if you want any other details, just ask.

Regards and good luck, Steve.

jpindy3 - 12/7/09 at 08:50 AM

the leogo locost is the same space frame as the indy,

rusty nuts - 12/7/09 at 09:11 AM

Velocity body work may give you more underbonnet clearance, IIRC it's 1" taller