Board logo

zx9 carbs/megajolt
kylerichmond - 4/4/10 at 08:06 PM

I have fitted a zetec 2.0L with megajolt and trying to finally get it started, im firstly going to try and run the car on edis only, however it sparks well but wont fire, is it possible that the wires to the coil are the wrong way around and need swapping, maybe the wrong coil is firing at the wrong time?
Also the fuel has reached the carbs but im not sure if its actually fuelling the engine, how can i tell? would i see it spray when i open the throttle whilst turning the engine over?

big_wasa - 4/4/10 at 08:37 PM

Yes you can get the coil pack back to front.

Check by changing the plug leads over. Check if the plugs are wet, that will tell you if there is fuel there. You should also be able to smell it if your not burning it.

10deg btdc wont give you the best starting advance but it should dtill fire.

kylerichmond - 5/4/10 at 04:26 PM

Yeh wires on the coil were mixed up, swapped them and got it started, ran lumpy on idle with a little misfire randomly however when i put the choke on it ran smooth, this was with just the edis connected and not them megajolt, is this normal? I also noticed that when i took the plug leads of whilst running number 1 and 4 affected running but 2 and 3 didnt really, good spark on all cylinders and 70psi oil pressure, will the car smooth out when i connect the megajolt? or will it be fuelling?

coozer - 5/4/10 at 05:32 PM

Edis is locked at 10 degree's and your jolt will be as well.

Megajolt kicks in when your revving.

FASTdan - 5/4/10 at 06:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kylerichmond
I also noticed that when i took the plug leads of whilst running number 1 and 4 affected running but 2 and 3 didnt really, good spark on all cylinders and 70psi oil pressure, will the car smooth out when i connect the megajolt? or will it be fuelling?

Sounds like the carbs might be out of balance or idle mixtures not all equal - check the colour of each plug to identify if 2+3 are running richer etc.

Best to wind your idle mix screws fully in (shut), then unscrew all four by a couple of turns - this should give you roughly equal idle mix on all four.

Should idle smoothly after a couple of minutes if fueling and balance is all good. Megajolt shouldnt need to be active to help the idle.

kylerichmond - 6/4/10 at 08:17 PM

Are the screws on tho bottom the idle mixtures?
Is it these screws that are also used when balancing the carbs?

coozer - 6/4/10 at 08:38 PM

Screws underneath are the air screws for first 1/4 of the throttle. Balance screws are inbetween the bodies next to the springs.

When do want me to come and point everything out?
Steve

kylerichmond - 7/4/10 at 04:32 PM

If i get stuck il let you know steve, got it ticking over not too bad just a little uneven, going to adjust air screws tommorow and see what happens, i noticed that if i rev the car it backfires and pops on the way down, what causes this? maybe the jets been 190