Board logo

Zetec cooling
kylerichmond - 23/1/11 at 06:50 PM

I ran my Robin Hood 3A Stainless steel body 2.0l Zetec through the summer, however it would overheat if the weather was hot, i found that by removing the bonnet the car stopped overheating, am i right in saying that ventilation is the issue?
The car i fitted with a polo radiator, i have noticed that it is 24mm rad and not th 32mm core thickness, i was thinking i should get the thicker one, would this help?
Im also thinking of putting vents in the side panels as there is already vents in the bonnet.
Im wondering what others have done to help with cooling?
Help any ideas?

coozer - 23/1/11 at 06:53 PM

Plumbing at a wild guess.. whats you current setup? Using the bypass as Henry intended? A water rail perhaps?

kylerichmond - 23/1/11 at 06:56 PM

Ive double checked the plumbing, im using the standard zetec thermostat housing, ive used the bypass on the right and blanked the one on the left, i have no internal heater

RichardK - 23/1/11 at 07:24 PM

This is how I've plumbed mine, however yet to test!

Cheers

Rich

coozer - 23/1/11 at 07:33 PM

That's spot on Rich, nice water colour... very important to have the bypass and header tank connections separate into the bottom hose, and even better to have the bypass go back in nearer the water pump.

Is yours like that Kyle?

[Edited on 23/1/11 by coozer]

RichardK - 23/1/11 at 07:59 PM

Can't profess to have done the original watercolour, nicked it from somewhere and modified it to my liking, like most things on my car

Cheers

Rich

kylerichmond - 24/1/11 at 05:29 PM

Yes it appears to be the same basically, what rad size are you using?

RichardK - 24/1/11 at 09:16 PM

Usual Polo one, sorry unsure of the size of it.

Cheers

Rich

Jasongray5 - 24/1/11 at 09:35 PM

Little bit of a hijack guys, but why is it important for the bypass and header hose to be plumbed seperatly?

Cheers Jas

RichardK - 24/1/11 at 10:13 PM

The reason I designed mine like that was just about getting the max flow rate into the bottom larger hose.

Cheers

Rich

Jasongray5 - 24/1/11 at 10:37 PM

Ah cheers Richard