Board logo

engine rebuid - torque
belgian2b - 25/5/11 at 07:36 AM

Hello,

i am rebuilding my ZX12 engine.

I need now to apply a torque of 135 Nm to the clutch housing screw.

I should use a special tool to maintain the clutch housing while applying the torque to the screw.

BUT , i do not have this tool , and the kawasaki dealer does not want to let me the tool for a day.

When i disassembled the engine, i use a air tool wrench to unlock this nut.

Do you think that i can just use the same air wrench to lock the nut ?

thanks for advices,

Gerardo

[Edited on 25/5/11 by belgian2b]

Bluemoon - 25/5/11 at 07:59 AM

I would not use the same tool, way to much uncontrolled torque..

PAUL FISHER - 25/5/11 at 08:18 AM

When I rebuilt my 2006 ZX10R which is very similar to the ZX12R, I removed the nut the same way as you, but as bluemoon has already said I would not use airtools to rebuild a engine, a good air gun can apply 500Nm+, I did not have the special tool either, but managed to wedge a screw driver between the teeth of starter ring gear and the starter motor, not ideal but the nut only has to be tightened to 130Nm or around 95ftlbs.

norm007 - 25/5/11 at 08:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by belgian2b
Hello,

i am rebuilding my ZX12 engine.

I need now to apply a torque of 135 Nm to the clutch housing screw.

I should use a special tool to maintain the clutch housing while applying the torque to the screw.

BUT , i do not have this tool , and the kawasaki dealer does not want to let me the tool for a day.

When i disassembled the engine, i use a air tool wrench to unlock this nut.

Do you think that i can just use the same air wrench to lock the nut ?

thanks for advices,

Gerardo
============================================================================================================================================== ===============================================================

When I rebuilt my GSX1100 engine I welded a pair of handles to 1x of the original steel clutch plates to make a clutch holding tool. The handles were fashioned out of scrap steel tube.
I then bought a new replacement steel plate form York Suzuki centre which if memory serves me well only cost about £4.

Hope this helps

DIY Si - 25/5/11 at 09:24 AM

If it's anything like the blackbird engine when I was fitting an uprated basket to mine all I did was bolt two of the old clutch plates together. One locks the inner and one the outer baskets. Or bolt a flat bit of steel to an old plate and attach it to the nearest convenient bolt hole on the engine casings.

belgian2b - 25/5/11 at 09:48 AM

thanks for advices !!!!!!!!!

Gerardo

speedstar - 25/5/11 at 11:49 AM

Don't use air tools on the crankshaft! You put serious stress through the bearings.

It also gives no indication at all of what torque you've done it up to