Board logo

Recommendations for a very strong hub puller
Mr Whippy - 15/3/24 at 07:52 PM

Hi, I need to swap out the ABS sensor rings on my Volvo, easy.

NOPE! the driveshaft has rusted onto the hub and nothing is shifting it, tried my air hammer absolutely no movement at all, so now going to try a puller. I do get the impression this is going to be a battle as it looks quite rusty. Anyone recommend a puller?

Thanks.

mark chandler - 15/3/24 at 08:58 PM

I had a similar problem recently fixing a friends Kia

I tried heating and cooling, beat it without mercy and put my trusty biggest three leg puller on the job and it bust out one of the arms.

EBay provided the solution.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203885049334?

It’s awkward due to its weight and I had it ramped right up before the halfshaft finally moved out the hub.

I did think it would be an expensive never to be used again tool, however two weeks later I used it to pull the blades off my topper.

HTH

perksy - 15/3/24 at 09:03 PM

Sykes Pickavant Hydraulic

We use one of these at work and nothing has ever beaten it yet, Not too big & heavy either

It pulled the output spider out from an MT75 gearbox under a Westfield easily, where a traditional puller stripped its thread..

Slimy38 - 15/3/24 at 09:32 PM

I made one out of 10mm plate, reinforced with welded 25mm steel RHS. A couple of 12mm holes with some threaded bar, then a few washers and 8.8 nuts. I put everything in the vice so things weren't going to go too far if they broke, then just started winding. It was enough to press an MX5 driveshaft out of the hub.

The threaded bar had elongated and wasn't much use again, but it got things undone for the price of a load of leftovers lying in the garage.

[Edited on 15/3/24 by Slimy38]

rusty nuts - 16/3/24 at 01:48 PM

Cheap hydraulic one gets my vote