Board logo

Forming the petrol tank
cjleonard - 12/9/02 at 01:17 PM

I'm just about to make the tank. I worked out the size (the book seems to be a few diamensions short!). However, I test bent a piece of the metal sheet I'm going to use - the good old fashioned hit it with a hammer approach - and it took some to get it over. This piece was no where near the size of the bit I need to form. So any tips on the best way to form it (read: cheap and easy - I want to avoid buying a tank)

Cheers Chris

theconrodkid - 12/9/02 at 01:54 PM

I made 2 before i came to my senses and bought one off locodude,sugest you do the same

ewanspence - 12/9/02 at 03:39 PM

Mine is bullet proof. 1.6mm thick. A bit too much if you ask me but the steel was kicking about.

I parked my Mazda MX6 front wheel on top of a scaffolding plank that was ontop to the steel. Then using a long crow bar I lifted the metal up. Just needed some persuading to finalise all the angles to exactly what I wanted.

Took a couple of hours t fully weld - including making the ends, baffle and slow drain at the outlet.

chrisg - 12/9/02 at 05:11 PM

Plasic Tank Man, every time

Cheers

Chris

Ian Pearson - 12/9/02 at 05:20 PM

I used a Triumph Spitfire tank. Fits like a dream, and Greengauges sell a sender unit that is externally identical to the Spitfire one. I grafted it onto the old sender unit, and it works like a dream. Tank cost a fiver and the sender was £12.00 ish.

scutter - 12/9/02 at 05:26 PM

I have an old spirfire tank, free to anyone who wants to collect it at donington on saturday(no sender though)

Ian Pearson - 13/9/02 at 06:21 AM

I've a spare sender if anyone wants that tank! I'll be at Donington Saturday as well.

James - 13/9/02 at 11:01 AM

quote:
I have an old spirfire tank, free to anyone who wants to collect it at donington on saturday(no sender though)

With your job is that the Triumph or Supermarine type?

Cheers,

James

Dunc - 13/9/02 at 11:45 AM

Locodude, whats the going rate for your tanks and do they come with the holes cut or can I make my own holes in them? How many litres can they hold?