Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Briggs n Stratton engine running rough - Help?
craig1410

posted on 29/4/07 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
The thing is I do have something to lose as it is working well enough to cut the grass at the moment as this is the way it has always run since we got it second hand. If it wasn't working at all then I would have had it in bits long ago!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not worried at all about the technicalities of stripping the carb - I have the exploded diagram of the entire engine and as you say there's not much to it. I've previously rebuilt gearboxes and have reconditioned a couple of 16 valve twin cam cylinder heads before so this will be a doddle. I just don't like going to the effort of stripping it all down without at least using new gaskets and seals when I build it back up. The diaphragm is £2.23 and the inlet seal is £2 to it's just not worth doing the job without replacing them in my opinion. I've got little enough time to get on with my Locost without having to repair the lawnmower so my aim here is to rebuild the carb, replace the pull-start clutch, renew the throttle cable and renew the air filter. That should keep it going for a couple of years at least.

Good news is that I got to spend a good 4 or 5 hours on my Locost today. Got the rear luggage bay cover 90% completed with just the two corners to pleat nicely round the curve now.

Cheers,
Craig.

Simon

posted on 30/4/07 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Craig,

Had a word with Russ today and he says it's probably the diaphragm. You'll need to separate the carb and tank and hold dia up to the light (while stretching it slightly). Even a pin prick hole is enough to make them run rough, so replace.

Yet another suggestion for you to look into, I'm afraid.

ATB

Simon

craig1410

posted on 30/4/07 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Simon, that's pretty much what I'm expecting to find and I received confirmation today that my parts have been dispatched so I might tackle it tomorrow evening.

Cheers,
Craig.

ChrisJLW

posted on 1/5/07 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for the diaphragm, my parents B&S mower had the same symptoms. New diaphragm sorted it out.

Not too dificult to change either.

I've lived a life that's full.
I've traveled each and ev'ry highway.
But more, much more than this,
I did it side-ah-ways.

craig1410

posted on 3/5/07 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
Purrrrrrrrrr!

That's the sound it's making now!

Replaced the carb, diaphragm and gasket along with a new throttle control, air filter and starter clutch. What a massive difference!

Thanks for your advice all, much appreciated!
Craig.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.