Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: wilwood brakes
Stuart_B

posted on 1/8/09 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
wilwood brakes

hi all, i would like a new set of brake on my indy, i have been looking at these

but not sure which pads to get, andy recomadtion?

or any one got a set for sale?

thanks

stuart

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

grazzledazzle

posted on 1/8/09 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
I bought that kit for my old car. Took some buggering about to get it on without the pads/ discs being locked solid. Manufacturing tolerances were out, but might have improved by now? Performance was not great with the 'smart' pads. Other pads faired better but if i was doing it again i would look at the midi-lite callipers.
repper

posted on 1/8/09 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
ive just put the willwood milite calipers on my car i got the smart pads but it not on the road so cant report on how good thay are

Gav

posted on 1/8/09 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
I have the smart pads on mine and they are not great tbh, i have seen quite a few people say that the mintex pads work really really well though

mr T

posted on 1/8/09 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
I fitted smart pads with powerlite callipers and they were crap so fitted poly matrix A pads these pads are a track pad and the difference is unbelievable
RickRick

posted on 1/8/09 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
i'm going the other way (looking for motorbike sliding 2 piston calipers, 30mm pistons if anyone happens to know of any) can't see the rear brakes really do much work, so planning a good weight saving over sierra calipers and thick disks target is to get to 400kg with a full tank, need to loose 40kg from sva weight
mark chandler

posted on 1/8/09 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
Mintex on the front of mine, EBC green stuff on standard sierra disc rear with single master cylinder.

The brakes are great, no fad and good balance.

bimbleuk

posted on 2/8/09 at 05:36 AM Reply With Quote
Standard practise to have to do some mods to fit the Rally Design kits and others. Not all their fault as the Tolerances on the ford stuff can change depending on where the stuff was manufactured.

Oh while you're ordering change the pads to either Mintex 1144 or a better Wilwood pads as the Smart pads are awful, to be expected at £20 for a set!

A1

posted on 2/8/09 at 05:41 AM Reply With Quote
ferrodo racing ds2500(?) pads are brilliant, not sure if theyll do them for the wilwoods though...?

are the smart pads just the standard ones that come with wilwoods? cant remember which ones i got...

[Edited on 2/8/09 by A1]

britishtrident

posted on 2/8/09 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
If you want good brakes that actually stop the car and give you a nice firm pedal use recon Sierra calipers and genuine OEM spec pads ---

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 2/8/09 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
If you want good brakes that actually stop the car and give you a nice firm pedal use recon Sierra calipers and genuine OEM spec pads ---

haha, well said that man

Blackcab

posted on 3/8/09 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
anybody got any prices or best deals on willwood / similar , I understand the new regs state that the caliper has to be enclosed within the rim ? is that right ? the standard sierra ones seem pretty big and will stick out a bit - so need to upgrade and want a decent performing and good looking alternative.
Thanks

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.