Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Scuttle holes
David Jenkins

posted on 18/10/09 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Scuttle holes

Following on from my topic about protecting the paint when I fit a new screen - I don't think that I need to worry! I can now see that I have a lot of holes to fix, so scratches fade into insignificance...

bare scuttle
bare scuttle

Scuttle holes
Scuttle holes

You can see that the various fixing bolts have pulled the metal up.

My cunning plan is to tap the edges of each hole back down until there's a slight dimple, then put some fibreglass behind, then fill the dimple. This will be followed by the usual rub down, priming and painting.

Does this sound like a reasonable way to do it?

ken555

posted on 18/10/09 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
I would tap it down, quick MIG weld of the hole. Then Smooth (fill if needed) and paint.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 18/10/09 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hi David,

If you drill a hole in a thick piece of bar, counter sink deeper than a screw head, then tap a thread in it you will have a large nut.

Put the screw in the scuttle top and the nut on the back and tighten.

This will pull the edge of your hole in (ooer ) without distorting the rest of the scuttle top.

You could use c/s screws to fill the holes and filler over the top, Or just f/glass as you intended.

hth
cheers
Paul G

David Jenkins

posted on 18/10/09 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Now that's a thought... good thinking, Paul! I think I'll now wander off to my lathe...

Ken - I don't want to weld, if I can help it - that would result in me burning the paint for a fair way around. At the moment I'm only looking at rubbing down very small patches followed by filling, priming and painting. If I burn a load of paint then I have to take large areas back to bare metal, inside and out.

[Edited on 18/10/09 by David Jenkins]

posted on 18/10/09 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Now that's a thought... good thinking, Paul! I think I'll now wander off to my lathe...

I'm not just a pretty face.....

Come to think of it, I'm not even a pretty face.

Paul G

MakeEverything

posted on 18/10/09 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins

Ken - I don't want to weld, if I can help it - that would result in me burning the paint for a fair way around. At the moment I'm only looking at rubbing down very small patches followed by filling, priming and painting. If I burn a load of paint then I have to take large areas back to bare metal, inside and out.

[Edited on 18/10/09 by David Jenkins]

I would suggest youre better off spraying the whole thing anyway. Youll end up with patches, and "we dont need to stinking patches......"

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

David Jenkins

posted on 18/10/09 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
I will paint the whole lot - but I don't want to have to rub the whole scuttle back to bare metal... it'll be OK as what's there already is good and sound.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.