Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cutting slots in front wings
RK

posted on 3/11/09 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Cutting slots in front wings

Any comments before I do something drastic? I was planning to chain drill small slots and slide the stays through, then glue on with silicone and bolt for strength.

One issue is that the holes for the bolts have already been drilled in the stays (NOT an easy thing to do; the steel is hard), and they won't be evenly spaced. I doubt if it will be noticeable.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_msqbgjMJLvA/SvAxgNi7mWI/AAAAAAAAE_M/5aSUPKiNrTA/s720/DSC02312.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_msqbgjMJLvA/SvAxgYerZfI/AAAAAAAAE_Q/nOFD9knXKB4/s720/DSC02313.JPG

Uploading doesn't work for me.

[Edited on 3/11/09 by RK]

chrsgrain

posted on 3/11/09 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Here you go....

b
b

a
a

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

RK

posted on 3/11/09 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you! How do you do that? Is it that they're too big?

Bluemoon

posted on 3/11/09 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
I cut slots (not notches) by drilling at each end then filing them (GRP wings). I didn't want to notch mine as I felt this would weaken them (and I don't like the look)..

Others have bend the stays so no slots are required (not a good idea IMHO, as you have probably work harden the steel and it will tend not to flex along it's length, increasing the chances of the wing stays snapping).. But mine have only done 350 miles so time will tell....

Use PU instead of Silicon if you want to glue them on... bolted mine (with large penny washer on the outside), others have just used PU with success..

Cheers

Dan

[Edited on 3/11/09 by Bluemoon]

[Edited on 3/11/09 by Bluemoon]

Peteff

posted on 3/11/09 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
I bolted mine with one bolt in the middle through the stays, they don't need any more.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

austin man

posted on 3/11/09 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
rivet a strip of alluminium between the two wing stays (fallow the arc of the arch) then silkaflex the wing to the alluminium. this way you will increase the bonded surface area and also reduce the possibility of damaging the wings from stones thrown up by the wheel.

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

jollygreengiant

posted on 3/11/09 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
It takes a bit of time and work, but it is possible to do it without any bolt holes in the wings.

You need to make sure that the wing stays are as close as possible to the tyre (and wheel combination, about 15mm from the trye face) then cut some flat bar (about 6mm thick and sit nicely in side the wings across the flat width) to sit on top of the stay(s). when you are happy with the possition of the stays in all directions and trial fitted the wings, possition the extra bar on top (and clamp) the stays and pilot drill. Then drill and tap the flat bar to take 6mm bolts and clearnace drill the stays for the 6mm bolts. Fit the flat bar onto the stays with 6mm bolts and cut off any excess bolt length and flatten off. thoroughly clean and de-grease the bar faces and corresponding under side of front wing (the inderside off the wing may need roughing slightly before cleaning with some 60 grit). The apply PU Adhesive to the flat bar and push the wings onto the flat bar, allow a couple of days for full hardness.

Un-bolt wings from stays and seal round the edge of the flat bar with more PU adhesive and refit bolts, this time with shake proof washers.

Picture(s) may not be clearest but this is what you end up with (joints not come appart at up to 110mph)

Pre sva 5
Pre sva 5

Spot the difference 1
Spot the difference 1

Hope this helps.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

RK

posted on 4/11/09 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
I am not 100% sure of what you are saying, but what you have done looks very nice, I think. I am going to read it again later, and make sure I didn't miss something.

I know I can't drill the stays any more, as they have already got 3 holes in each but one of them. One I couldn't face anymore, since it was too hard physically, to drill the others. I broke a lot of bits too. They were supposed to be just for making bonding easier, so they aren't evenly spaced either.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.