Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Search Your Brains!
omega0684

posted on 9/2/10 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Search Your Brains!

right guys i've been searching for hours and im struggling to find any reasonable prices, i've looked at the obvious people, Quaife, BGH, SP Components, Raceline but they all want far too much

im after a Heavy Duty type 9 box, to take up to around 210 Bhp and at least 170 ft/lbs

im looking for ratio's in the region of 2.39, 1.54, 1.21, 1.0, 0.87/0.93.

do any of you know people who work for 'X' company that can get parts on the cheap or can get discounts etc etc. or is it going to be a case of im going to have to find extra depth in my pockets?

Cheers

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
oadamo

posted on 9/2/10 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
be easyer and cheaper just to change the box with a bellhousing to suit your engine.
adam

t16turbotone

posted on 9/2/10 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
How big is your budget alex?
r1_pete

posted on 9/2/10 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't the diesel P100 pickup variant of the type 9 about the strongest? try searching the commercial breakers for one of thise...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 9/2/10 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
The P100 box ratios are diabolical, best ratios in the Type 9 is the V6 but nowhere near what Alex wants.
No easy solution but the Cosworth T5 box will take the strain, has 2.9 first

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

iank

posted on 9/2/10 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for a T5, gives some headroom if you get really greedy for power

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

omega0684

posted on 9/2/10 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
a T5 with those sort of ratio's is on the verge of 4 figures! well out of my reach. and then i would have to get bellhousing etc as well!

mr T

posted on 9/2/10 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look Here
flak monkey

posted on 9/2/10 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Why are you being so specific over the ratios alex?

They are all slightly lower than any of the std type 9 boxes, so you could just change the final drive ratio to 3.38:1 (if you have 3.62 at the mo) which would have a similar effect...

I know a few people running standard (totally unmodified) type 9's on turboed cars pumping out 300+bhp and they havent broken yet.....

I rebuilt my box with a HD gearkit from BGH which gives a much longer first than std....and they are then rated to 240bhp and 200lbft...

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

paulf

posted on 9/2/10 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Its only really first gear thats a problem due to being to low, I would like a higher first gear but the money would be better spent on tyres or suspension in my book.
A standard type 9 is ok in a light car as large amounts of power just spin the wheels and limit the torque the box is subject to.
Paul.

Dan.

posted on 9/2/10 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
I know a few people running standard (totally unmodified) type 9's on turboed cars pumping out 300+bhp and they havent broken yet.....

I rebuilt my box with a HD gearkit from BGH which gives a much longer first than std....and they are then rated to 240bhp and 200lbft...

David

Interesting...
I have been looking for a gearbox for my 300HP 400lb/f but the only thing i could find with half decent ratios and enough strength was a T5 box. is a type 9 really ok for this kind of power in a light weight car like an Indy, if it is it solves my bell housing issue as I can buy an adaptor plate for a type 9 box.

Incidentally just thinking about it,I presumed they T5 and the type 9 gearboxes have different mountings, but maybe they are the same?so I could use a type 9 adaptor plate on a T5 box....?

ps sorry for the thread hijack!

[Edited on 9/2/10 by Dan.]

omega0684

posted on 9/2/10 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr T
Have a look Here

if any of you have the ability to get in touch with 'pete f' the poster of the above link, or the ability to post on the WSCC forum can someone send pete a PM/U2U or post a link to this thread on Pete's thread, either way to get him to contact me as im not allowed to post in that section as a new member on the WSCC Forum (which is a bit pants!)

cheers

flak monkey

posted on 9/2/10 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dan.

I have been looking for a gearbox for my 300HP 400lb/f but the only thing i could find with half decent ratios and enough strength was a T5 box. is a type 9 really ok for this kind of power in a light weight car like an Indy, if it is it solves my bell housing issue as I can buy an adaptor plate for a type 9 box.

Incidentally just thinking about it,I presumed they T5 and the type 9 gearboxes have different mountings, but maybe they are the same?so I could use a type 9 adaptor plate on a T5 box....?

What engine makes 300bhp and 400lbft?! Sure thats not 400Nm (295lbft)!?

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Dan.

posted on 9/2/10 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
quote:

What engine makes 300bhp and 400lbft?! Sure thats not 400Nm (295lbft)!?

Thats what I meant lol...I was up at 6am brain not functioning!

omega0684

posted on 9/2/10 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Thats what I meant lol...I was up at 6am brain not functioning!

i've been up since 4am! off to bed now though!

Jenko

posted on 10/2/10 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
I have a standard T9 running 203bhp and 190lb/ft...Never had any issues, and I do a few track days......However, it is standard and the ratios are pants......

I'm a member of the WSCC so if you want me to drop Pete a PM, then give me a shout.

Of course, reality is there is no 'Cheap' way of doing what you want....It's quite an expensive mod, but BGH would would get my vote.

MikeR

posted on 10/2/10 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
have you contacted tran-x - at least with them you could save postage and nip to B&Q at the same time
t16turbotone

posted on 10/2/10 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Alex have a look here mate...

http://www.hi-gearengineering.co.uk/ford.htm

tony

mr T

posted on 10/2/10 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr T
Have a look Here

Have a look again

Tony

Dave Ashurst

posted on 11/2/10 at 05:36 AM Reply With Quote
Alex

If you used my gearbox chooser spreadsheet then beware.

I wrote it only to help me choose between gearboxes I could actually find (i.e. ones within my budget) rather than to specify theoretically ideal gear ratios from scratch. That would be big budget territory for sure, Mr Brawn!!

Note that yes, the data library in the spreadsheet does contain some very expensive options - not ones I can afford either. I just cut and pasted a load in to play with.

I suggest you'd be better off deleting the library data, finding a selection of gearboxes you know you can afford and writing those ratios in. Then use the spreadsheet to get an idea of which will feel best through the gears in your car. (disregard the acceleration from standstill to about 20mph, it doesn't do clutch slip so the very low speed curves are wrong. Alternatively use "Car Test" which gets it right, and then modify the ratios in that).

D

omega0684

posted on 12/2/10 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Mr T & Jenko: Thanks Guys after a chat with Pete last night im soon going to have dig a rather large hole in my pocket!

procomp

posted on 12/2/10 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

The only way you'll get those ratios at decent money is in a SH Quaife or tranex box. But if you gonna go looking for specific ratios. Then why not the 2.04 first. rather than the 2.39 . The 2.39 is not much better than a rocket first. Most would opt for the 2.04 ratio. And most boxes that come with either of those first gear ratios will come with the 0.93 5th as well.
Good luck with the search.

Cheers Matt

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.