Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sketchup help
blakep82

posted on 21/2/10 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
sketchup help

got a plan for being able to use bonnet pins. before anyone says, i'm NOT using aero catches, they look like crap, and i don't want huge holes cut in my bonnet etc...

drawn this out, and as you can see, there's a domed top, but i can't seem to get the top to fill in? anyone know how? the bottom 'ring' sort of happened by accident lol

the idea would be to bond some kind of ring inside and have something slightly sticky like rubber or foam stuck along the bottom, and then the the ring inside will be tie wrapped to the bonnet pin catch, so when you flip the bonnet pin down, it pulls the cover down on top tie wraps mystically break and come off after IVA

Description
Description

[Edited on 21/2/10 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

ashg

posted on 21/2/10 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
you cant get the top to fill in because you have overlapping intersections. if you watch some of the google training vids it shows you how to domes and spheres.

have got pretty good with sketch up its much faster if you don't need proper dxf cad drawings

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

blakep82

posted on 21/2/10 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
aw booo lol
never had much luck with the extrusion thing. i'll keep on trying though thanks. as long as i can email it to someone so they can see what i need, thats good enough for me lol

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

02GF74

posted on 22/2/10 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
Sketchup? There is only S-Heinz.

Paul_C

posted on 22/2/10 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
The rectangles in the domed top don't look like they have straight sides so won't fill in.

One way of filling them in might be to subdivide each rectangle into triangles by finding out the ends of each segment of the arcs which are made up of a number of small straight lines. It's then possible to hide the lines and smooth the curved surface.

Another way is to use the Follw Me Tool which only works from a surface and starts at 'extruding' at right angles to the surface. Rescued attachment Dome.jpg
Rescued attachment Dome.jpg

blakep82

posted on 22/2/10 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul_C
The rectangles in the domed top don't look like they have straight sides so won't fill in.

One way of filling them in might be to subdivide each rectangle into triangles by finding out the ends of each segment of the arcs which are made up of a number of small straight lines. It's then possible to hide the lines and smooth the curved surface.

Another way is to use the Follw Me Tool which only works from a surface and starts at 'extruding' at right angles to the surface.

the squares along the top are made using the draw arc line. so they are all curved, they just happen to meet each other. i tried drawing 2 arcs over the top, and joining the ends up like you do on the bowl thing, but the follow me tool didn't like that either.

Paul_C

posted on 22/2/10 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
I have filled in one of the squares along the top with many triangles and used the Window Soften edges tool which is laborious but works.
The Follow Me tool mightn't like the extra arcs in the way and it only works on a surface. It is also a little temperamental and I find it works best if the path is selected first then the tool then the surface to be extruded. Rescued attachment Dome fill in with triangles.jpg
Rescued attachment Dome fill in with triangles.jpg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.