Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Indy Bird clutch system
DIY Si

posted on 5/4/10 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Indy Bird clutch system

Afternoon all.

I'm trying to sort out a new set up for my clutch, but I am having trouble deciding what will work best. I currently have a 5/8" master feeding the standard Honda slave. This works OK, but gives a very short hard pedal. And since I haven't gotten around to fitting a pedal stop yet, this set up can, and has, blow the seals out of the slave.

Since I could do with a new slave and I wish to change the master cylinder too, is it worth going for something like the Westfield kit and just be done with it? I know it's not cheap, but it will give me a full kit of parts.

The other option is to get a matching master and slave then make new mounts for the slave to allow what ever it is to fit, as the current one uses a modified Honda casing as it's mount. The clutch rod only needs to move a few mm to work the clutch, and going this route would allow me to pick a widely available, cheap set of cylinders.

What ever set up I use must be reliable and not able to blow seals. I know it's my fault for not fitting a pedal stop, but it does stop the mrs driving the car, or being willing to go out in it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

DIY Si

posted on 14/4/10 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Any one?

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Mike S

posted on 15/4/10 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Si

I have a Blackbird engine in my car.

I have used the Westfield kit. The gantry arrangement on the master cylinder end is an excellent bit of kit.

It uses a bike rear brake master cylinder which is only about 0.5in bore, and uses the standard slave cylinder with no problems.

I also made a clutch pedal that has different points for the actuator arm attachement so different pedal ratios can be used. Although I used the middle one when I assembled it and it has been fine.

I did not use the stand-offs supplied by Westfield for the slave cylinder as my engine is the right way round and is chain drive so no need to space it off to clear a prop adapter.

You are welcome to have the stand off bits if you want them.

I think there are some pic in my photo archive of the master cylinder arrangement.

Cheers

Mike

There are more horses' asses in this world than there are horses

probablyleon

posted on 21/4/10 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using an R1 rear brake master cylinder (Brembo) and the standard Blackbird slave. I also fitted some heavy springs to the pedal to provide some resistance. It's far from perfect but is tolerable. I'm having the engine mapped this week and am planning to have the idle speed set at around 2000 rpm, I've a feeling that might help a bit with the more sedate pulling away maneuvers (junctions etc). Stalling one of these things at a junction, after all the noise and drama of pulling up to it in a BEC is one of the worst bits for me

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.