Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bonnet Catches
Daddylonglegs

posted on 15/4/10 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Bonnet Catches

Last night I finally managed to get around to fitting my bonnet hinges to the loocost, I didn't get the rubber ones that everywhere seems to sell (for around £20) as after all I am trying to keep the cost down.

Unfortunately, I think the addage 'you gets what you pays for' is ringing all around

I can't rember exactly what I paid for these ones, but I think it was around £15 for the 4. trouble is, they don't seem to latch very well, and I'm sure that the first bump I go over will see the bonnet making like a hanglider

I can't seem to find them on the web (can't remember where I bought them) but they are similar to the rubber fold-down type but hard ABS plastic or similar.

Can anyone recommend any other 'IVA friendly' catches that won't cost me a fortune please?

JB

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Bluemoon

posted on 15/4/10 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Sure you have fitted them correctly, spacing between the top an bottom parts is critical, they should be "over-center" to latch, incorrect spacing may mean they cant do that.

Maybe you could experiment with addition of adjustment via elongating the fixing holes and using some 4mm button head screws and some big washers on the back???

I don't much like these kind of catches as they are not positively locked, the rubber versions ones stretch as well... I have Duz quarter turn fasteners, they are a pain to fit but can be very positive..

Failing that 4 bonnet locating "pins" and two belt leather straps would work well (old special style, difficult to make IVA friendly though).

Dan

coozer

posted on 15/4/10 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
I have the rubber 'SVA Safe' type that are coming off to make way for solid stainless locking cateringvan type....

Bonnet acted more like a rocket, going straight up than a hand glider...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

tashlotty

posted on 15/4/10 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
Coozer,

u2u sent ref catches.

cheers

Daz

SteveWalker

posted on 15/4/10 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
My catches are definitely not IVA compliant (it's been on the road for 10 years +) but at least I can put an R-clip or a ty-wrap through them so they're going nowhere! I'm sure the damage that may be caused to a pedestrian by my catches (after he's managed to get past my front wheel), is a whole lot less than a driver may suffer if his bonnet takes off the wrong way! I'm pretty sure that some of the IVA safe ones can have pins put through though.
dhutch

posted on 15/4/10 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got protex ones on mine.
- Stainless, very stong, posative interface, and cam over with clip to hold them shut. Can also use an Rclip but dont.

Not SVA/IVA able tho. Just safe and sensable.

Daniel

norfolkluego

posted on 17/4/10 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
I had a bonnet fly off while towing the car last year (luckily on an empty road). Trust me, it's a lot cheaper to buy good catches in the first place.
Keep meaning to post some pics of the remains asking if it's repairable

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.