Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New boot cover
Humbug

posted on 16/5/10 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
New boot cover

My old boot cover lasted about 4 years: plywood covered in a fairly thin vinyl. I have never been that pleased with it because:

- the thin vinyl meant that rivets fixing the hinges showed through

- the cut out for the ful filler looked a bit crap - the edges were not neat

- the boot lid flexed at the sides making it lift slightly

- the fill-in pieces by the rear stays kept coming off

Also recently the vinyl covering the hinge join (deliberately covering to avoid water ingress) had started to crack.

So, Bank Holiday weekend I decided to make a new one:

- plywood pieces as before, but in a different layout with the fuel filler on top and avoiding the tiny infill pieces

- piano hinge instead of the record turntable hinges I had before (!), for more even bend.

- hinges supported by battens glued and screwed onto the lid (hardwood runners off the inside of a chest of drawers!)

- additional batten across the underside of the lid for further strength

- to cover it I used material from an old tonneau cover that andybarbet gave me (thanks Andy). I had to join a couple of pieces but that wasn't an issue.

I think the new lid looks a lot neater and hopefully the tonneau material should be a bit stronger and longer lasting than the old stuff. Rescued attachment 2010-05-16 Boot cover fitted.JPG
Rescued attachment 2010-05-16 Boot cover fitted.JPG

RichardK

posted on 16/5/10 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Nice job mate, I'm amazed at how much space you have in there, I must only have half of that!

Nice one

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Andybarbet

posted on 16/5/10 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Looking good, glad the tonneau did the trick, that is really heavy vinyl so should last years more

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

Humbug

posted on 16/5/10 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, thanks Andy. After fixing up the half hood bits that I initially got it for I tried to make a tonneau but it was beyond my skills, and I didn't want to waste the nice vinyl. The boot cover was due for a refurb anyway

Cheers

Simon

Humbug

posted on 16/5/10 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
Nice job mate, I'm amazed at how much space you have in there, I must only have half of that!

Nice one

Rich

Thanks. I measured up carefully to use almost the maximum space: the boot box fits slightly above the fuel tank, then drops down to a point above where the live diff would come to on full bump, and I've even got a small "sump" between the fuel tank and the diff that I put a few occasionally-needed things like tyre puncture spray and stuff.

Simon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.