Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: small alternator
JoelP

posted on 24/5/04 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
small alternator

looking at a picture of the charade alternator, it seems to have the wrong pulley on it to use with a pinto. Is this correct? is the 2cv one the right V-pulley? I need to find a small one soon cos my old alternator nearly cut the steering column in two the other day...

is it a case of visiting the local scrappies or does anyone know a place on-line that sells the right one?

thanks.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

theconrodkid

posted on 24/5/04 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
i got a daihatsu one,same as befford rasca i think,earlier ones had v belt,ive got a 2cv alt if you cant find one but it needs a reg,about £17

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

JoelP

posted on 24/5/04 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
cheers john, does the diehatsuit one need a regulator or is it built in? might ring up a local place and see what they have. Damn, thats tommorow now...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

givemethebighammer

posted on 24/5/04 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
daihatsu has one built in wiring is slightly different to standard pinto one looks like pic below.

ps they cost £££ new cheaper to get one from scrappy and have it reconditioned if it needs it.

[Edited on 24/5/04 by givemethebighammer]

[Edited on 24/5/04 by givemethebighammer]

theconrodkid

posted on 24/5/04 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
we have seen a lot come up at auto jumbles,brand new for a couple o squid,worth a look????

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Mr G

posted on 24/5/04 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
I've been trying to figure out how to get ours working!

Why the hell would the alternator need an ignition feed? I've connected up the charge light via our astra lcd clocks and nothing. I then thought it may be because of the type of bulb (as they are lcd) and it not being 3w etc

I wired up a standard bulb and still no warning light.

I've given it a feed from the ignition as well in the past to the other terminal but it did'nt seem to make any difference!

I'll go back and have another go but I'm sure i've tried all the options... bah!

Cheers

G

MK7

posted on 24/5/04 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a Diahatsu alternator and I'm convinced it's not charging (not too difficult to work out seeing as the battery keeps going flat)...

In the diagram you show 2 spade connectors 'L' and 'R', my wiring loom only has 2 wires, one is the output so which terminal should the other one go to?

[Edited on 24/5/04 by MK7]

CairB

posted on 24/5/04 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
MK7,

That diagram looks familiar, it's the one I used for my Mitsubishi unit, part number in photos.

I think that you'll be missing the main ignition feed. I had to add it.

I convinced myself that the alternator was generating by having it live electrically and spinning it with a drill. If you feel a torque reaction then its promising, or its seized

Cheers,

Colin

theconrodkid

posted on 24/5/04 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
the feild windings are an electro magnet,therefore they require power to get them excitedif you earth the casing and apply power to the 2 small terminal as shown in the diagram the pulley should be very hard to turn.
you do need the right wattage bulb to make it work as well

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

givemethebighammer

posted on 24/5/04 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
terminals may be labeled as IG (R in pic above) and L (L in pic above).

Conrod any idea on the wattage of the bulb required ?

MK7

posted on 24/5/04 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Is there any reason why I shouldn't just connect the B+ terminal to the IG/R terminal?

I assume that the feed to the IG/R terminal is to excite the field windings. What would be the concern about providing the IG/R terminal with a permanent 12V feed rather than a switched feed from the ignition switch? Will the field windings be drawing current all the time?

At this time I've got a thick wire that runs from the B+ terminal to the battery +ve terminal and a thinner wire to the L terminal. The charging light goes out when I start the engine but, as reported above, the battery isn't charging.

CairB

posted on 24/5/04 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
MK7,

I've a feeling that there may be a drain on that feed that you only want when the engine is running with a direct connection to the battery. Measure the current on that feed without the engine running to confirm. Try the torque reaction test, with mine the torque was significant to the hand (usual safety warnings apply). If your not getting the reaction mechanically then you won't be charging electrically. You don't get owt for nowt. Check the integrity of electrical connections, the lamp will go out when the back emf balances, doesn't mean that sufficient surplus current relative to load is available to charge though. There's always the possibility that the alternator is failing in its duties.

Oh and good luck with the SVA. Make sure your batteries up for it

Cheers,

Colin

theconrodkid

posted on 25/5/04 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
ign bulb is usually around 3-5 watts,mk7 dont leave the other wire permantly live as it will flatten yr battery

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

MK7

posted on 25/5/04 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys,

Looks like another modification to the MK supplied wiring harness is called for.

lsdweb

posted on 25/5/04 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Guys

I got my Daihatsu alternator - brand new / recon for around the £70 mark from a local motor factor - it came from a company whose name I can't remember but the telephone number is 0161 7467676. They fitted a suitable pulley for my Zetec .

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.