Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alternator wires
scoobyis2cool

posted on 3/6/04 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Alternator wires

I'm just wiring up my alternator to my loom and have noticed that the alternator has 2 wires used for the charging circuit. My loom only has one wire and it appears to be the same size as the wires from the alternator. Can I just wire up one of the wires from the alternator and leave the other one or do I need to attach them both?

This is a photo of the wires, the red ones are from the alternator and the one with the loop connector is on my loom

Cheers,

Pete

Also, can anyone explain why the alternator has two large wires while my loom only has one? Does this mean that one of the alternator wires is effectively redundant? I assume one wire will be able to cope with the current OK?

[Edited on 3/6/04 by scoobyis2cool] Rescued attachment alternator wires.jpg
Rescued attachment alternator wires.jpg

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 3/6/04 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
sierra uses two smaller wires instead of one larger one because two wires will be more flexible. I would not be sure that one wire alone could carry the full load, though admittedly a kit car will put less pressure on it. compare the loom wires size to the sum of the two wires, if the loom is smaller then i presume it will cope.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

scoobyis2cool

posted on 3/6/04 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
I would not be sure that one wire alone could carry the full load, though admittedly a kit car will put less pressure on it.

Looking at them the loom wire looks to be the same size as one wire from the alternator, so effectively I only have half the current-carrying capability. I suppose the kit car does have a lot less to deal with - no interior lights, radio, heater, wipers etc, so I guess I'll just have to suck it and see!

Pete

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scoobyis2cool

posted on 3/6/04 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not entirely sure how an alternator works - does it try to "push" as much current down the wires as it can produce, or will it wait for something to demand current (lights etc) before passing anything. If it works by the second method then I would have thought the single wire would be OK since there are so few electrical items on my car

Cheers

Pete

JoelP

posted on 3/6/04 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
i think it is the second: the more you draw (ie lower resistance), the harder it is to turn. so it makes what is required to maintain 14 odd volts.

IMHO anyway

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 3/6/04 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Joel is correct.

An alternator will try and supply a charging voltage of approx 13.8 - 14.4 or summat like that.

Effectively, the alternator and battery are in parallel, so BOTH will try and supply the load, to some extent.

The alternator will regulate charge to suit the load. If it didnt it would cook the battery big time. A 80-100a full on charge wouldnt be nice.

I recon that you may get away with a single core, - but they do look a bit whimpish - a safer way would be to go to a scrappy, and get a length of cable with the right ends on it from a ford of similar.

atb

steve

[Edited on 3/6/04 by stephen_gusterson]

MK7

posted on 11/6/04 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
I had a chat with the manufacturers of my wiring harness and they told me that the issue which constrained the type of wire had more to do with the insulator used than with the diameter of the conductor...

Modern insulators can tolerate a greater heating effect than the older types, as a consequence it is feasible to use a narrower diameter conductor with a modern insulater than what may have been acceptabe in the past.

Regarding the amount of current passing through the alternator cable, current only flows when there is demand so it's OK to think that the battery will supply current to the various units (Lights, ignition, cooling fan etc...) and the alternator will supply current to the battery only when it needs it.

HTH

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.