Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bonnet vents
sebastiaan

posted on 25/8/10 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
bonnet vents

Hi!

I'm wanting to put some sort of vent in the rear-top part of the nosecone on my Indy to aid getting the hot air away from the rad as quickly as possible. I'm looking for styling ideas.

One obvious candidate would be to just cut a CSR-style hole and back it with some mesh as done on Zetec's car. This'll look good but i'm a bit worried about what happens when the car is stood in the rain.

Then there are the Donkervoort / FW400 / SR2 style vents backed with mesh, but those only look really good when surrounded by a " bump" and look a bit naff when just cut into a flat bonnet.

Finally, it might be possible to adapt something from a production car. The bonnet vents from a MK3 astra GSI spring to mind which could look good painted black.

Any other ideas? My car is red & black as per picture below.

Thanks,
Sebastiaan

Indy with screen
Indy with screen

edited to add picture

[Edited on 25/8/10 by sebastiaan]

jono2020

posted on 25/8/10 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Im in exactly the same situation so I hope you get some good ideas...
Mark Allanson

posted on 25/8/10 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
I was thinking of adding a lip at the front of the vent to create a low pressure zone to 'suck' the hot air out of the engine bay.

Does anyone think it will work? Or have a better idea?

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Mark Allanson

posted on 25/8/10 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry image to explain

Bonnet Lip mod
Bonnet Lip mod

The grilles are the front grille meshes from an MG ZR!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Humbug

posted on 25/8/10 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Vents on the sides at the rear of the bonnet gets round the problem of rain coming in if you have vents on the top. On my ali bonnet I fitted B&Q ali louvre vents with the "catching" part facing in and forwards. Or you could so something like Mark A above.
40inches

posted on 25/8/10 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
I am going to do something similar, should work on an outlet quite well, like this one:

Image deleted by owner

Mave

posted on 25/8/10 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Sebastiaan,

for my new nosecone I took the hole-shape of the CSR and added the Donkervoort-lip in front. But that would mean a respray in your case...... (note that I still need to cut the actual hole)

Marcel

[Edited on 25/8/10 by Mave]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sebastiaan

posted on 25/8/10 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Mark,

that ridge is almost exactly what Donkervoort do, and it looks good on those:

Without the ridge though, it looks a bit.... well... like this:

Marcel, I really like the look of that new bonnet. It looks much better than your previous bonnet (which I also liked, including the vents on). Lot of work though, right?

Any more suggestions: keep 'm coming, especially if they use some form of recycled OEM vent!

Mave

posted on 25/8/10 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, I agree with the ridge. It looks more finished, rather than an "afterthought".

In the old nose, the vents were nicely shaped, but too far forward. The top of the radiator was actually right below the front hole.

Marcel

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rick q

posted on 26/8/10 at 12:15 AM Reply With Quote
I did a straight forward vent at the rear of the nose cone using standard rubber extrusions and that expanded aluminium mesh the young lads use to tart up their "ricers".

Seems to work well [at low speeds you can feel the warm air coming out and into your face], and by being careful, I didn't have to repaint the nosecone. There's also a sheet aluminium baffle at the rear of the nosecone stopping rain going onto the front of the engine, and to helps direct air up through the vent :-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.