Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bonnet scoop fixing
robertst

posted on 24/9/10 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Bonnet scoop fixing

Good evening...

I received this earlier in the post, and offered it up to the bonnet.

can anyone give me any clues how to fix it securely to the bonnet?

i could only come up with sikaflex (which wont do as the whole bonnet will be primed and painted)

any ideas?

Thanks!

bonnet scoop1
bonnet scoop1

here u can see the edges of the scoop

bonnet scoop 2
bonnet scoop 2

Tom

doddy

posted on 24/9/10 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
i would fiberglass some bolts or fixings in to it that you could line up with the bonnet so you can bolt it down
daniel mason

posted on 24/9/10 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
i would probably go for some right angled brackets riv nutted to bonnet, then fasten through the side of the scoop into the bracket

scutter

posted on 24/9/10 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry for the rough 'paint' drawing, Could you fill/build up the hatched area with resin, my scoop came with this area filled in and I drilled and ran a self tapping screw into the resin.

Just an idea. Dan.

[img][/img]

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MakeEverything

posted on 24/9/10 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Cant you fibreglass it in from underneath?

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Mix

posted on 25/9/10 at 05:21 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

I would bond on three threaded fixings and drill the bonnet to accept, then trim the edge with 'U' trim.

Regards Mick

GRRR

posted on 25/9/10 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
if you need to make lumps to screw into use David's P40 from Halfords etc, the thick stuff pre-mixed with glass fibres, ideal for this sort of thing.
RichardK

posted on 25/9/10 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GRRR
if you need to make lumps to screw into use David's P40 from Halfords etc, the thick stuff pre-mixed with glass fibres, ideal for this sort of thing.

I would make some cardboard baffles, that slot into each other so to make small squares around various areas and then flood fill them up with P40 or even sikaflex with some threaded inserts pushed in (small screw or tape over the lower end to stop it filling up as its pushed in), you know, the thing that goes into a rivnut tool.

Just a couple of ideas.

Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 25/9/10 by RichardK]

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
clairetoo

posted on 25/9/10 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
How about cutting the hole in the bonnet 25mm smaller all round than the scoop , then bend that surplus metal up to form a mounting flange to match the profile and shape of the bulge (on the inside) , then countersunk rivets and a bit of filler to finish off ?

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

suparuss

posted on 25/9/10 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
ive never seen a topic with as many different ideas!

i would do the threaded inserts or captive threads and bolts idea as the alluminimim will expand and contract like mad especially over the engine, so a permanant bond proabably wont last too long. i certainly wouldnt try to blend it in! the u trim would be a good addition to finish it off i reckon.

robertst

posted on 25/9/10 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
How about cutting the hole in the bonnet 25mm smaller all round than the scoop , then bend that surplus metal up to form a mounting flange to match the profile and shape of the bulge (on the inside) , then countersunk rivets and a bit of filler to finish off ?

i thought about doing that, but bending the aluminium well will be very tricky.

i like the profile idea. i'll just make some l-shaped aluminium brackets and then rivet them to both the scoop and the bonnet and just use body filler to cover the rivets...

thanks for the ideas!

[Edited on 25/9/10 by robertst]

Tom

Barronge

posted on 27/9/10 at 06:32 AM Reply With Quote
I have absolutly no idea.... i would like to know where you got the scoop from though???
robertst

posted on 28/9/10 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barronge
I have absolutly no idea.... i would like to know where you got the scoop from though???

i got it from the bay of e (Click me!!!)

its originally supposed to go on a Saxo... but it fits quite nicely on our cars

Tom

2cv

posted on 28/9/10 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:Originally posted by clairetoo How about cutting the hole in the bonnet 25mm smaller all round than the scoop , then bend that surplus metal up to form a mounting flange to match the profile and shape of the bulge (on the inside) , then countersunk rivets and a bit of filler to finish off ?

I think this is a very good idea and if you cut the shape in two pieces of ply and clamp up to sandwich the aluminium, this will protect the bonnet from damage and you should be able to form the aluminium into an upstand. 25mm might be pushing it but 15mm would be no problem. Make sure the corners are nice and smooth on the aluminium which will help to prevent splitting when it stretches. Any sign of a split carefully sand it back until it has disappeared. Gently form the aluminium using a piece of hardwood and hammer and for the curves cut a similar radius in the wood which will help the aluminium to form evenly.

[Edited on 28/9/10 by 2cv]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.