Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lights
davrus

posted on 27/9/10 at 06:41 AM Reply With Quote
Lights

Hi ya
Looking through the I.V.A manual i can only see it states the fog light to be e.marked. Is that the only one or am i missing some details in the manual.

I am sure i have seen a thread on this in the past but cant find it.

Many thanks

adithorp

posted on 27/9/10 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
There was never a requirement for lights to be E-marked. There were approved E-marks listed for various types of lights but none E-marked lights that were of "similar brightness..." etc, to the E-marked items could be used. The disadvantage of that is it introduces a certain amount of testers judgement into the equation and if in doubt, he'd fail them.
E-marks also have a number relating to the use it's approved for.The Approved numbers are in the appendix to the lighting regs. Just because a light has an e-mark doesn't mean it's ok; It neads to be the right e-mark.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

40inches

posted on 27/9/10 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
There was never a requirement for lights to be E-marked. There were approved E-marks listed for various types of lights but none E-marked lights that were of "similar brightness..." etc, to the E-marked items could be used. The disadvantage of that is it introduces a certain amount of testers judgement into the equation and if in doubt, he'd fail them.
E-marks also have a number relating to the use it's approved for.The Approved numbers are in the appendix to the lighting regs. Just because a light has an e-mark doesn't mean it's ok; It needs to be the right e-mark.

Now that throws up an interesting question! If no e-mark = similar brightness, so should be a pass. Wrong e-mark = fail?

adithorp

posted on 27/9/10 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
No, as long as it's similar then it's OK whatever the mark. I had front indicators that had the correct e-mark for m'bikes but not cars and passed. Problem comes when the tester isn't willing to put his head on the line. They've probably got an opinion on most of the lights available already, but if you turn up with something they've never seen/passed before...

Seems they've now dropped the list of e-marks that wer in the SVA appendix.

From the manual. Section 20, Instalation of lights.
"6.
All lamps must emit light of an equivalent brightness and colour when compared to an e approved lamp of the same type"

davrus

posted on 28/9/10 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting. So my front indicators dont have any emark printed on them , will they not pass I,V,A?
adithorp

posted on 28/9/10 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
They will pass... "if they emit light of an equivalent brightness and colour to an e approved lamp."

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.