Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: car battery very flat. Will it be terminal?
smart51

posted on 31/12/10 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
car battery very flat. Will it be terminal?

I cam to start my tin top today after being stood for a week. It didn't even try to start. I jump started it from another car but it wouldn't turn over until I got someone else to rev the other car quite hard while I started mine. It's been fine since but if the battery was that flat, will it be damaged beyond repair?

matt_gsxr

posted on 31/12/10 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
I had it with mine when the alternator shorted itself. The battery was and still is fine in my case.
big_wasa

posted on 31/12/10 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Could be either way. The wifes cooked the alternator two weeks before xmas after a flat battery.
Surrey Dave

posted on 31/12/10 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
You could try an intelligent battery charger

CTEK XS3600
or
Oxford Oximiser
or
Optimate
or
Accumate

ReMan

posted on 31/12/10 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
I cam to start my tin top today after being stood for a week. It didn't even try to start. I jump started it from another car but it wouldn't turn over until I got someone else to rev the other car quite hard while I started mine. It's been fine since but if the battery was that flat, will it be damaged beyond repair?

All sounds normal behavioor to me, so unless the battery was exibiting signs of old age prior to theis then it should be fine once run and charged properly.
Might be worth cheching for anything draining slowly though

That's my locost answer

Bluemoon

posted on 31/12/10 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
I would not be worrying about the battery so much as if the car has a fault that has caused the battery to go flat. If so this will eventually kill the battery even if you have got away with it once. I would be tempted to disconnect it and measure the residual current drain with a DVM.. For a 35ah battery over a week to be completely discharged only needs 200mA load (i.e. 35/(7*24))..

Dan

britishtrident

posted on 31/12/10 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Slow charge the battery for 24hrs, let it rest for a few hours then test the volts drop under 200amps load.
stevegough

posted on 31/12/10 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Could be either way. The wifes cooked the alternator two weeks before xmas after a flat battery.

Really? the wife did pork for us!

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

hillbillyracer

posted on 31/12/10 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a car that had been standing & the batterey was totally flat, it was fine & I used it for 7 years & once in that time it went flat again due to lack of use but again it was fine & was still as good as ever when I sold the car!
britishtrident

posted on 31/12/10 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa

Chicken and the egg.
More likely the alternator goosed the battery, a completely flat battery will only accept a tiny current for the first hour or so after that it slowly draws in more current.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Peteff

posted on 31/12/10 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
When you jump a car battery it's better to connect the two together and let the running car charge the flat one for ten minutes before trying to start the flat one by revving the nuts off the jump car. I had a battery which died and got stuck in the shed after it was replaced. I put the Optimate on it and it went into desulphate cycle and after 3 days it charged up. It ran on my daughter's car for two years before she sold it.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

britishtrident

posted on 31/12/10 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Surprisingly those jump start cables the connected between cigar lighter sockets work pretty good if you give them a few minutes to work.

Of course nothing beats real pro HD jump leads and a big battery.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

big_wasa

posted on 31/12/10 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Batery is fine after an over night charge still had to do the alternator in the snow ....

My guess was short trips to work and cold = flat batery and like you say the alternator didnt like the very flat batery.

prawnabie

posted on 31/12/10 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Probably too late now but i wouldn't drive it until fully charged as Im sure you can knacker the regulator on the alternator from it working its knackers off trying to recharge a flat battery.
Ninehigh

posted on 31/12/10 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
I remember something about making sure the electrolyte is topped up...

britishtrident

posted on 1/1/11 at 01:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie
Probably too late now but i wouldn't drive it until fully charged as Im sure you can knacker the regulator on the alternator from it working its knackers off trying to recharge a flat battery.

Batteries are not like capacitors, they are also are different from a resistor a flat battery only initially accept charge slowly .
Put a full 14.8 volts across a flat battery and it will accept a very low current, only when the charge builds up will the battery start to "suck" in current from the alternator, the current falls back again as the battery voltage rises to meet the alternator charging voltage.

If you try and force in charge by increasing the charging voltage (as in a garage boost charger) the battery voltage increases but the battery only gets a comparatively small amount of charge that isn't spread evenly across the plates. This is why if a battery is given a high rate boost charge after charging the voltage at the battery terminals will increase to a health 12.5 to 12.8v but the voltage will fall back after a couple hours as the charge spreads more evenly across and through the battery plates.

[Edited on 1/1/11 by britishtrident]

Paul_C

posted on 1/1/11 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
In my experience a completely flat battery (so called deep discharge) is a bad idea for lead acid batteries.
As previous posts say they sometimes recover taking only a small charge current to start with.
If it does recover you are lucky.

BenB

posted on 1/1/11 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
In my experience car batteries are able to survive a deep discharge better than a bike battery. I know the lead plates can buckle when deep discharge and short- perhaps because the bike battery is smaller the plates are closer together so buckling is more of a problem? But fundamentally deep-discharging non deep-discharge batteries is a bad idea.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.