Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Refurbishing minilites
rb968

posted on 2/2/11 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
Refurbishing minilites

A while ago I bought a mixed set of four minilite wheels from a Cateringvan racer on ebay.
Intending to use them for trackdays and they came fitted with a set of Yoko A048 tyres that have seen some action.

Decided to refurb them myself so spent the last 2 nights so far on them sanding my fingers to the bone. Well I needed to get out of the house. I am doing it super locost using what I've got in the garage plus a few spray tins of paint and lacquer.

Minilite wheels
Minilite wheels

Started with the worst wheel – lacquer on the polished rim was knackered. Took forever. 80,100,240,400 grade sandpaper.

First sanded
First sanded

Primer

First primed
First primed

Few coats of satin black

First satin black
First satin black

Then three coats of clear lacquer.

First clear coated
First clear coated

2nd one in primer tonight and painted on the back. Got one with a few dings that will need some metal filler and sanding but the silver and matt black ones are a lot easier (hopefully).

Anyway quite happy with how the first one turned out. Time will tell if they hold up to chips etc.

Rich

[Edited on 2/2/11 by rb968]

skodaman

posted on 2/2/11 at 02:01 AM Reply With Quote
Looks good but think I'll build a blast cabinet to do mine. I might have even finished it by the time your wheels need doing again in which case feel free to have a blast to sunny Morecambe and have a blast.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rb968

posted on 2/2/11 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah I would have liked to have used the blaster at work but they won't fit !

I should imagine as soon as they need a set of tyres they might see some damage.

Sanding kept me warm in the garage anyway.

Rich

ken555

posted on 2/2/11 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote

Nitromors is the way forward.

Finished with tough black, red motorbike rim tape, then lacquer.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.