Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: fence and high wind interface
theconrodkid

posted on 7/2/11 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
fence and high wind interface

my back fence got blown down,the posts are 4X4 concreted into the ground and 2 have snapped off at ground level.
is there any way to replace the posts without digging up huge lumps of concrete?
i hate hard work btw

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

mcerd1

posted on 7/2/11 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
is the concrete big enough to drill in some anchor bolts around the posts ?

-

mookaloid

posted on 7/2/11 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Have they got reinforcing bars inside? it may be possible to straighten them up and repair them using an epoxy cement mix and a former.

Edit: sorry I for some reason like me not reading the OP properly I thought they were concrete posts

[Edited on 7/2/11 by mookaloid]

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

norm007

posted on 7/2/11 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
my back fence got blown down,the posts are 4X4 concreted into the ground and 2 have snapped off at ground level.
is there any way to replace the posts without digging up huge lumps of concrete?
i hate hard work btw

I take it the posts are wood and concreted into the ground???

I had this with a gate post 3 x years ago.

I borrowed a big Hilti drill and bits, drilled out the remains of the post from the concrete, (creating a concrete socket),new posts were planed off a couple of mm`s, then bought from Wickes a small bag of concrete repair powder!!???? mixed this up into a slurry and poured it around the new post which had been slipped into the concrete socket.

My gate is still standing tall 3 x years on!!!

Not too much hard work, and only took about an hour once I had everything in place.

Hope this helps!!!!

Something about this, so very wrong.....I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn`t like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Humbug

posted on 7/2/11 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
I did something similar to Norm. If the concrete is still in reasonable condition, it can be reused as he mentioned
theconrodkid

posted on 7/2/11 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
cheers peeps,looks like a small hilti to dig the old wood out then

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

norm007

posted on 7/2/11 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
cheers peeps,looks like a small hilti to dig the old wood out then

Where abouts on a "small damp island" are you?

I can get hold of a Hilti if your near me?

Norm

Something about this, so very wrong.....I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn`t like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blakep82

posted on 7/2/11 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
i thought fence and high wind into face look amusing

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

David Jenkins

posted on 7/2/11 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
There's always these things...

Metpost

But heaving out the old wood and putting a new post in is probably a better way of doing it - but not so quick...

mookaloid

posted on 7/2/11 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
just a thought - the original posts probably broke at the bottom because they were rotten at that point.

They rot there because it's only those couple of inches where soil is in contact with the posts and hence they always break there.

When you put the new ones in, haunch some concrete found the posts at the base to keep soil from contacting the wood and they will last years longer.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

omega 24 v6

posted on 7/2/11 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Drill a few holes through the remainings posts. Fill with petrol/parrafin/similar set alight and leave. The pick out whats left and hammer in the new post.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

David Jenkins

posted on 7/2/11 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
When you put the new ones in, haunch some concrete found the posts at the base to keep soil from contacting the wood and they will last years longer.

Also stand the posts in a bucket of your favourite preservative (e.g. creosote) for a few hours until they're well and truly saturated with the stuff.

DarrenW

posted on 7/2/11 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid

Also stand the posts in a bucket of your favourite preservative (e.g. creosote) for a few hours until they're well and truly saturated with the stuff.

This is what i have always done, takes time to soak in but worth it. if i havent had suitable old bucket ive just kept brushing it on for several hours. Maybe thinned down old engine oil will preserve them - not eco friendly though.

I know someone who wrapped plastic around bottom of posts before concreting in - have a guess what happened?

Daddylonglegs

posted on 7/2/11 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Drill out the best you can to get rid of the old post stump (probably pretty rotten anyhow so shouldn't be too hard). Then fit the Metaposts (in DJ's link). Use an offcut of 3"x3" post to ram the Metapost home then fit your 4" x 4" s, simples

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 7/2/11 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Char burn the surface of the wood that you want to protect where it comes into contact with the soil.......bet it wont rot in a thousand years.

They did up old fires in time team sites and the char is still there 10 hundred years on

designer

posted on 7/2/11 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't it covered by your house insurance?

If it is, let contractors worry about it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 7/2/11 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
I know someone who wrapped plastic around bottom of posts before concreting in - have a guess what happened?

They became removable fence posts?

theconrodkid

posted on 7/2/11 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
i,m west London.
ill have a go at drilling it out first,the other fence has metapost and is a bit better tho it does sway in the wind.
anyhow,as soon as summer comes i intend getting out of this hell hole and heading for a life as a beach bum on the south coast

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.