Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Half doors with a Aeroscreen
Johneturbo

posted on 10/5/11 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Half doors with a Aeroscreen

I know i must be getting soft!!

my areoscreen does a great job with deflecting the wind over the top so i can just wear my Dixon glasses and beanie hat

But on longer journeys the wind noise (right ear) is a bit tiresome

i've been thinkin about making some halfdoors but with a polyscreen head height, but i'm guesing i'd need to tie it into the Aeroscreen otherwise the wind will just come down between the gap

hope smart51 doesn't mind me using his piccy of his halfdoors.
half door viewed from above
half door viewed from above

or would just half doors like smart51's make a difference to ear wind noise

what do you guys/girls think

[Edited on 10/5/11 by Johneturbo]

omega0684

posted on 10/5/11 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
have you spoken to "soft bits for sevens" they make some really snazzie looking half doors!

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Johneturbo

posted on 10/5/11 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
No i've not spoken to them, but i've had a look on the website.

i think to get the elbow room mine would have to be a hard material and shaped to fit

bi22le

posted on 10/5/11 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
I have half doors and a small (but not aero) screen. Originally my doors curved up to meet the top of my short screen but due to the height blocking the wing mirrors I cut the half doors down to be level in height but not meet the screen. The mod made NO difference to wind noise or wind level in the cockpit.

When I do track days I often remove the half doors to allow more elbow room. You really notice the difference then. Its not from the wind (although you can certainly feel turbulence around your arms and seat belt straps flying everywhere) as such but from the road noise. I hear comparably none in my car when the half doors are on. To the point that I left them on for my most recent track day and just got used to the lack of elbow space (i didn't really notice anyway!). Also to prove the point I never noticed how long my harness straps were until the half doors come off. I had to tape them to my harness because they were flapping all in my face, I have no such problems with the doors on.

EDIT: I have just noticed, look at my Avitar and you will get an idea of the very small amount I removed and how similar my screen is to an aero.

HTH

Biz

[Edited on 10/5/11 by bi22le]

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Johneturbo

posted on 10/5/11 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
I know what you mean about the harnesses straps i've been slapped in the face many a time and it bomming hurts,
use a elastic band to hold them!

good to know they do make a big difference, i guess as a start i could just make half doors without the window( as in smart51's) and see if it help

i'll take a gander at your archive

scutter

posted on 10/5/11 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
I cheated and got mine made in Witney, but it's the same idea.

I'm the same on trackdays, Leave them on for a calmer drive.

ATB Dan

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Johneturbo

posted on 12/5/11 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
Had a bit of a mess a round with some carboard!

now the idea i have is to use some mesh if i can find any long enough needs to be about 110cm long then cover it with fibreglass matting and cover that with some type of vinyl. i would like to use gelcoat but not sure how easy it would be

i'd also like to have it hinged but the scuttle isn't straight so not sure how i could do that?

what do you peeps think

Half door
Half door

welderman

posted on 12/5/11 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
LocoR1 - Dave's car

nicest ive seen

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

Johneturbo

posted on 12/5/11 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
yes they are very swish! do you know if he made them himself

jabbahutt

posted on 13/5/11 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
Reading this thread with interest as I'm still convinced there are better ideas out there than the idea I'm working on. How do the side dooors open on Dave's car above? can't see any hinges, does the whole side door just lift off?

HowardB

posted on 13/5/11 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
least expensive and lightest weight solution is:

a pair of ear plugs,...... very light, and very locost. That would solve the wind noise,.....

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Johneturbo

posted on 13/5/11 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Been having a bit of a think on how i can make a buck for a mould, as i'd like to make the doors with gelcoat and resin

doing some searches on here seems it's posible to use foam sheets that i can carve out a shape, but i don't think it will react to well with resins!

would this stuff from B&Q be ok to use as i'd like to sand it to shape

HERE

jabbahutt

what is the idea you are working on?

ETA
i think i need polyurethane sheets/blocks not polystyrene

[Edited on 13/5/11 by Johneturbo]

40inches

posted on 13/5/11 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Would this work? East Coast GRP

Johneturbo

posted on 14/5/11 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
Would this work? East Coast GRP

It would, but i'd need to find a cheaper source as i'd need 110cm length they are about £50 each! i'd need two! it would end up cheaper to buy some doors! and this is just for the buck to make the mould

ETA ahhh ok, they do smaller sizes but with more quantity so could stick them together. works out a lot cheaper.

i'd need 2" depth so the 2" Polyurethane Foam Sheets - 4 sheets - 2 ft x 2 ft

that works out to £28 plus vat and carriage

[Edited on 14/5/11 by Johneturbo]

jabbahutt

posted on 16/5/11 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
I've been kicking various ideas round for the past six months!! This always happens with me I'll sit and scribble ideas for months and when I finally start to make something it only takes a week to complete.

My ideas as you asked is I'd like something slightly different, not to be a smart arse or anything but because I have no skills in metal work or fibre glass. I've been looking at two options.

1. tubular frame covered in fabric but hinged at the rear not the front as like you the scuttle angles seem to make a front hinge idea difficult. bit like one of those Russian limo types (problem is how to secure at the front)

2. or second idea is the rear and front or the door is fixed and the area to climb in and out is fabric which is secrured along the top and then simply folds down to get in or out. I thought elbow room could be made by forming the shape using net curtain wire and sewing it in shape into the door.

No photos I'm afraid as at present they're just scribbles in a note pad.

Hopefully I'll stop mucking around and get cracking soon.

Johneturbo

posted on 16/5/11 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
ahh the old suicide doors! would be different for sure

your second idea sounds very do-able, maybe with some very string velcro to fix to the other sections

i'm trying to find some where local i can get some polyurethane boards, cheap! i do like the idea of sculpturing something then using fibreglass and gelcoat

Hinging the front on the scuttle i could use 3 small hinges as that section would be moulded to follow the lines of the scuttle

same here... all in my head nothing even scribbled down yet!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.