Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cat B's...
scootz

posted on 16/5/11 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Cat B's...

... can they go back on the road?

I thought they were broken for parts-only?

340r Linky

It's Evolution Baby!

scootz

posted on 16/5/11 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
Category B

A vehicle that has been written-off but where it's parts may be re-used. However, the body shell cannot be re-used and must be destroyed.

Notification of Destruction required. (Parts can be removed and sold). Recorded at DVLA & HPI

Hmmm... what's a 'body-shell' on a lotus? The chassis or the shell?

It's Evolution Baby!

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2760
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 16/5/11 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Always thought a cat b was break only and only allowed to be bought by registered scrap dealers.
Mind you scotty you do a fair bit of metal recycling so could be a goer .lol

[Edited on 16/5/11 by CRAIGR]

StevieB

posted on 16/5/11 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
I imagine it's the aluminnium monocoque.

In this case, you could probably take any cheap S1 elise and make it into a 340R I suppose.

Yazza54

posted on 16/5/11 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
I've done it.

I'm unhappy cos I eat and I eat cos I'm unhappy

scootz

posted on 16/5/11 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yazza54
I've done it.

Tell us more... (please!).

It's Evolution Baby!

Yazza54

posted on 16/5/11 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
All cars notified to DVLA as ‘written off’ within salvage categories A, B or C are required to pass a vehicle identity check (VIC), conducted by the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA), before DVLA will issue a registration certificate V5C.

If a car has been rebuilt as part of the repair process, this can call the identity of the car into question. When applying for a VIC you'll be asked to declare whether your car’s chassis or monocoque body has been replaced or modified in any way. The information you provide will enable VOSA to decide whether your VIC application can proceed or whether to refer your car to a DVLA local office for inspection, where it'll be assessed in line with DVLA’s rebuild guidelines instead.

If a car fails a VIC because its identity cannot be confirmed, it won't be entitled to retain its original registration mark. It may, be possible to register the car with DVLA if evidence of British National Type Approval in the form of a Minister's Approval Certificate can be produced. This may be obtained by applying to VOSA for a Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA). However before doing so, you'll need to obtain an alternative vehicle identification number (VIN) from the DVLA Local Office.

Following a successful IVA inspection and DVLA local office assessment, a 'Q' registration mark will be allocated.

It includes cat B in the above statement. The breakers get cat b salvage cheap on the understanding that they will not be going back on the road, so they destroy the plates and vin number. If it does go back on the road there will be come-back on the breaker.

The cat b libra I bought was from a breaker that had ceased to exist so that wasn't an issue. The vin number was intact and I found the reg through Team GTM. I chanced it and applied for a log book and they sent it to me! I wasn't changing the identity of the car so there was nothing dodgy there, the tub wasn't damaged at all and should never really have been cat b. Never had a VIC check because like I say, there was no need to check the identity because I applied under the original reg and vin.

I intended to just track it if I couldn't get it on the road but after that I thought it may aswell go back on the road.

Finished it, insured it.. used it THEN

It met it's second death within being back on the road for just 5 months since being totally rebuilt when an idiot pulled out on me without even looking. I didn't have much money in the car but I still lost out as the value for payout was almost halfed with it being a cat b. For this reason I would not recommend it or do it myself again unless it was a track car.

All my hard work to enjoy it for 5 months and be turned into this

scootz

posted on 16/5/11 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers... and ouch!

It's Evolution Baby!

Yazza54

posted on 16/5/11 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Cheers... and ouch!

Yeah, hurt my pocket and my neck.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.