Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: anyone used a VAG 1.8 20v turbo?
john_p_b

posted on 19/10/11 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
anyone used a VAG 1.8 20v turbo?

it's just a case of curiosity at the moment to be honest as i'm a little bored but i've got a serious soft spot for these engines after having my mk1 octavia vrs for a couple of years and couldn't fault the engine at all. just wondered if anyone had done it and how much hassle was involved with finding a gearbox to mate up to it and what management was used etc.

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

adithorp

posted on 19/10/11 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
I know of one in a GTM Libra, mated to a DSG 'box (VAG never put them together). Don't think it was easy getting the can-bus on the engine and 'box to talk to each other. It's ballistically quick though.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Russell

posted on 19/10/11 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, but mid engined so I'm using the transaxle out of the donor Passat. I'm also using the OEM ECU with the immobiliser defeated, although I would be interested in any other ECU options (except QPENG, which doesn't seem to support knock sensors).

I'm a bilingual illiterate. I can't read in two languages.

mcerd1

posted on 19/10/11 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
how about this one:
http://forum.daxsportingclub.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3004

-

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 19/10/11 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

You might wish to check out a tiger sports cars dealer they do a kit to mate a vag engine to a uprated type 9 box if your looking to use one in a RWD config, not cheap but looks like it will do what you want it to.

vag engine to type 9 box

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

[Edited on 19/10/2011 by Hector.Brocklebank]

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

Jimbob

posted on 19/10/11 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
sorry for the hijak but if you go ahead and want an engine i have one for sale with only 15k under its belt
john_p_b

posted on 20/10/11 at 06:19 AM Reply With Quote
£1200 just to mate a gearbox up to it before you even get started really then. ouch! i still love the idea of using that engine as imo they're a great engine but i'm now thinking it's a bit out of my price range

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 20/10/11 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
Personally I would make my own bell housing up from steel plates, one plates template taken from a vag box, second plate made to bolt to a short shaft type 9.

Get a vag/audi non-dual mass flywheel install it on the crank, and put a suitable spigot bearing in the crank too, bolt each plate to the respective parts (box/engine) slide shaft of box into the bearing, line everything up checking run out with a dial indicator and inclinometer, to make sure everything is in line and level.

Then temporarily weld bracing rods to make a "bell housing-frame" shaped to allow clearance for the cover & and friction plate, this way you can see what your doing on the next pars, and start scouring for vag/audi cover plate that will mate to a vag non dual mass flywheel, and possibly use a sierra diesel friction plate.

with frame you can then see to play with spacers for a suitable hydraulic clutch actuator, and with an audi starter. once all these variables are sorted out you then "cover-in" said bell housing with thinner steel plate, weld it all up, grind and paint it.. jobs a good un.

I reckon it could be done for about £300.00 on parts if you took the time and effort to do it, with a used starter and your own time etc. With the will (and a little skill) it could be done cheaply.

Or if you had a AC/DC tig set you could mate a cut vag bellhousing to type 9 with little trouble and a bit of milling and welding

[Edited on 20/10/2011 by Hector.Brocklebank]

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

laptoprob

posted on 20/10/11 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone know the total height of one of these engines?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajlF4nWJtGA

mgmiller

posted on 20/10/11 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
I did a Viento with a 1.8T engine code APX (out of a TT) a couple of years back.

It will cost considerably more that a ford engine to install.

Adaptor plate was 800 euros with cutch and spigot bearing. I used a MT75 box as they are cheap and strong enough for about 300BHP.

Intercooler and pipping will cost you close to £1000 as you cannot use the original equipment.

I used the original audi one, with a phase one tune (about 270BHP) and the immobiliser removed. But it would be just as cheap to purchase a aftermarket one and save yourself a lot of hassle in figuring out the wiring and what sensors are required and what ones you can get ride of. I spent a month getting the Audi ECU to run correctly.

The engine is tall so clearance with bonnet/road may be an issue.

Cheers

Mark

franky

posted on 20/10/11 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
why are the above engines so far forward in the engine bay?
mcerd1

posted on 21/10/11 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
why are the above engines so far forward in the engine bay?

this one ?
Description
Description

all the tigers are like that (doin't ask me why)

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.