Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Busa + Accusump oil capacity
JohnCL

posted on 17/7/12 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Busa + Accusump oil capacity

I run a Fisher Fury/Busa in speed events. Last winter when I changed the oil I filled it up then ran engine and re filled after accusump took some. Took around 4litres to fill the window after the engine ran.

Last event after a spin the oil light came on. Re started and no light. When home I looked at the window with the engine revving to 3-4000 and the level was near the bottom of the window, put in about half a litre and then some more at the next event.

The level still drops to around half a window when revving. Is this normal? I don't want to overfill but need for the engine to be safe. I only have an oil light, no guage.

BTW on revving the accusump pressure reads 60psi but drops to 20 when switched off while still at those revs. Is there a fault with it. I thought it should maintain full pressure.

Thanks for any advice.

John

Davegtst

posted on 17/7/12 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like the accusump is filing up under higher revs and dumping it back in when the revs drop which suggests the pressure valve on the accusump is not holding pressure. Your oil light is not a level light it comes on when the pressure is too low. I would get this sorted asap otherwise you could have a very big engine bil very soon.
Nick DV

posted on 17/7/12 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
When you Had the spin and stalled your oil light would come on - nothing to pressurise the system! If you check the oil level with the engine running you will have a false reading as a volume of oil will be circulating around the engine.

Re the A/sump, if I switch my electric valve off with the pressure gauge reading say 70psi, it will stay like that when the engine goes off. When I open the valve before starting the engine the pressure drops as the A/sump pre oils the engine.

Is yours set up correctly and when the valve is fully open and the engine off, what is the reading on the gauge?

Cheers, Nick

"The force will be with you, always!"

b3ngy

posted on 17/7/12 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

If you check the oil level with the engine running you will have a false reading as a volume of oil will be circulating around the engine.

Absolutely correct.

With regards the acusump I cant comment as I haven't seen it working yet.

JohnCL

posted on 18/7/12 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, I'm pretty sure the engine was still running after the spin as I managed to dip the clutch quickly. I see your point though. That was the first time the light came on in 2 years even with an oil pipe coming loose.

My electric valve may be at fault. However, first I'm going to check there's no air leak from the other end and redo the pressure pre charge as per the instructions. That eliminates one possibility according to the uk supplier.

I'll leave the current amount of oil in as it should only get blown into the catch tank if too full.

John

Nick DV

posted on 18/7/12 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
John, before you look at the valve, check that the pressure switch is operating correctly. I had an intermittant problem with mine whereby it was not allowing the valve to open - this is easily proved with a multi meter.

I would check the amount of oil you have in the engine, don't rely on any excess getting blown into the catch tank.

Cheers, Nick

Custardpants

posted on 18/7/12 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
You could also switch to a good old manual valve - I wouldn't have anything else on mine when i was running one, as its just something else to go wrong.
JohnCL

posted on 19/7/12 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Nick,

There's no pressure switch as it's just an electric valve. Any suggestions for how to check this is working properly?

john

Nick DV

posted on 20/7/12 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Check your electrical connections first and see if you ar getting the correct voltage, then I think the best option would be to make sure the a/sump has discharged then take the valve off and look at it when you throw the switch.

Cheers, Nick

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.