Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I want something that don't exist, if i get some made, who else wants one?!?
bi22le

posted on 9/5/13 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
I want something that don't exist, if i get some made, who else wants one?!?

I really want to solve the problem of a front towing eye on my striker. Mainly because if I currently break down or get stuck backwards in the kitty litter I don't want any troubles.

I have come up with a method where you use straps around either the front wheels or wishbone or upright each side to then offer up a central towing eye. Im going to get one made up in red seat belt material with seat belt style clips for quick fixing. Finish it off with a nice metal loop on in the middle. Good thing about this is it should not damage the front nose cone and requires no modification or work to get it fitted.

I expect these to be able to fit to any car with open front wheels. I may also get a neat holding bag made up so it can be stored somewhere on the car untill needed.

Any one else interested in these and if so what would you expect to pay. Considering a cheap piece of laser cut plate with no method of mounting to be used as a towing eye costs £40 quid ish Im thinking £50 seems suitable.

Ideas welcome.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

balidey

posted on 9/5/13 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen this done before (probably at race meetings).
Two short slings, pass each round the wishbone and through themselves. Then bring the two together infront of the car and use a karabiner to link them and attach the towing vehicle to it.
Short strops should cost no more than a few quid each, same for the karabiner. If you get these from known source then they will be tested and rated.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

Myke 2463

posted on 9/5/13 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
www.ratsport.co.uk £34.20 inc vat

Be Lucky Mike.

Aaron_n_Sim

posted on 9/5/13 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
I would've thought attaching to upright to be the best option, if you're bogged down in the litter and being dragged out by a commercial or agricultural vehicle it would probably bend the wishbones and if they are fed through the wheels they'd have to be elevated so they don't just wrap around the wheels when they rotate!!!
owelly

posted on 9/5/13 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
I have a short length of 2" webbing knotted to make a loop. Before I go out on track I just loop it through the front chassis rail and tie wrap the loose loop under the nose cone.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sebastiaan

posted on 9/5/13 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
I had these on my car, bolted to the upper wishbone mounting bracket (using the wisbone bolt) at the front and bolted to the base plate of the rollbar stays at the rear. Worked quite well getting the car liberated from a tree and back up the side of the mountain ;-)

Cheap as well, and when properly fitted they should not do any collateral damage. Although if you have a proper off, that should be the last thing on your mind...

dhutch

posted on 9/5/13 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balidey
Two short slings, pass each round the wishbone and through themselves. Then bring the two together infront of the car and use a karabiner to link them and attach the towing vehicle to it.

... should cost no more than a few quid each....

That was my thought. But equally, can you not attach an eye to the front of the chassis with a cutout in the nose to go round it...? As per below.

quote:
Originally posted by Myke 2463
www.ratsport.co.uk £34.20 inc vat

Presumably, for this: http://www.ratsport.com/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=9612062

Daniel

renetom

posted on 9/5/13 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
Made this from a lifting strop (nice soft one), you can make it as long
as you want to tow , had an upholsterer sow the loops
Then all you need is a D shackle.
also used it to tow on the top bar of the full cage.

towing
towing

Aaron_n_Sim

posted on 9/5/13 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
How do I add a picture to my post? I have exactly what you are talking about?
Trollyjack

posted on 9/5/13 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Up load your picture to your archive
then in the post copy and paste the forum code job done

TrollyJack

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bi22le

posted on 9/5/13 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by renetom
Hi
Made this from a lifting strop (nice soft one), you can make it as long
as you want to tow , had an upholsterer sow the loops
Then all you need is a D shackle.
also used it to tow on the top bar of the full cage.

towing
towing

Problem with this design is that the if the rope gets pulled up or off at an angle it will catch the nose. Fine for straight pulling.

Individual loop through ones are a good idea, cant see much wrong with them.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Aaron_n_Sim

posted on 9/5/13 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Trollyjack
Up load your picture to your archive
then in the post copy and paste the forum code job done

Thanks for that, much appreciated, I'll get there in the end!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.