Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Kitchen made splitter - big pictures
Theshed

posted on 21/5/13 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Kitchen made splitter - big pictures

I have embarked on making an undertray running the whole length of my car. I was just going to use plywood but I got ambitious and found some cheap(ish) kevlar.... I made a few practice bits using vacuum bagging. It is not as easy as the interweb tends to suggest and I messed up a few parts. But having just about succeeded with a dashboard I decided to make the front section...pictures below.

First I used a wooden board to mark out the mounting points. I put aluminium inserts in the board and bolted it to the car to test. I then put a Polypropelene sheet over that and drilled through. Inserts were turned up out of Aluminium (7075T6 - bar ends from ebay). I used the remainder of the sheet to form the edges of the mould and then uses wax (the yellow stuff) to make a fillet. This is what the mould looked like once the part was out.
Description
Description

I then used carbon fibre and Kevlar to laminate. This was by far the biggest thing I have done with composites and it took nearly 2 hours to lay up - all the time I was paranoid it would start to go off. Between the laminate I used PVC foam to provide reinforcement. This is good stuff - I was able to sand and shape the edges to match the wax fillet and to make it easier to lay over the fabric by rounding the edges.

I then stuck the whole thing in a vacuum bag

Front splitter/undertray
Front splitter/undertray

It leaked! I had run out of the breather fabric and had not covered all the sharp edges. Much gum tape later and it held a reasonable vacuum. Small problem was that it was now 10pm - family a little ratty that I refused to turn off the vacuum pump all night - on the bright side the cat did return today..

The moment of truth last night

First off with the bag and peel ply

Description
Description

Then out of the mould - small problem whilst the part just fell off the polypropelene (no wax at all) I had bonded the polypropelene with hot melt glue around the outside. The excess fabric was shall we say very well bonded....I cut it off with a dremmel. After that it just popped out. What appear to be scratch marks are actually just sticky masking tape that I wrapped around a ruler to prise the part out. It polished off (phew).

Description
Description

I have done a rough trim so far - I had to use the cutting disc in the angry grinder. I then fitted the support frame just to make sure that it would fit. It did!

Description
Description

I am really pleased. I know that a front splitter is generally considered a disposable item and so Carbon fibre is a bit OTT but hey so is the rest of the car. All the materials together were just over one build your own sportscar.

I will bond this section to the next 1m wide section using glass reinforcement so that as and when it gets bashed to bits ripped off etc I can just saw off the front and make another one. Now I just need to find somewhere to put the mould.

I will put some helicopter tape on the underneath to see how long that lasts..

mookaloid

posted on 21/5/13 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Good work

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

twybrow

posted on 21/5/13 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Nice effort! That is carbon - not Kevlar (unless you have sandwiched the Kevlar under the carbon?)...

If you make another, I would suggest you try resin infusion - your part will be higher quality (fewer voids) and it is likely to be lighter (less resin rich than hand laminating/vacuum bag).

Good job!

Theshed

posted on 21/5/13 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
Too scared to try infusion! I get too many leaks. The laminate is carbon x 2/kevlar x 2 /carbonx2. Cutting Kevlar is such fun...
imp paul

posted on 21/5/13 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
nice work very cool
jossey

posted on 21/5/13 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Looks great

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
maccmike

posted on 21/5/13 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
thats awesome, I know who'll Ill be ringing when I need one...
omega0684

posted on 21/5/13 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
@ TIMMY

Could you make one at work?

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
FuryRebuild

posted on 21/5/13 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Nice work - it encourages me to do some bits of my own in carbon.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

twybrow

posted on 21/5/13 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
@ TIMMY

Yes mate - my boss is very receptive to little side projects (he has a kit car himself)... We are moving into our new building (office + workshop) next month, so the projects will pick up after then!

And I just took an enquiry for us to design and build CF wheels (automotive) - hmmmmm!

omega0684

posted on 21/5/13 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
@ TIMMY

Yes mate - my boss is very receptive to little side projects (he has a kit car himself)... We are moving into our new building (office + workshop) next month, so the projects will pick up after then!

And I just took an enquiry for us to design and build CF wheels (automotive) - hmmmmm!

Put me down for a set, i can send you dimensions!

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

coyoteboy

posted on 27/5/13 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
That looks nice! I'd be worried about infusion on such a flat wide piece personally, because I've never done it, any tips add to how to ensure a complete infusion up to corners etc?

PS hope you are wearing appropriate PPE when cutting/grinding carbon!

[Edited on 27/5/13 by coyoteboy]

Theshed

posted on 27/5/13 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Errrm cutting in the garden and keeping my mouth closed??? More seriously I must get some masks and glasses - I did get some bifocal safety specs which are very good for machining (you can read a micrometer) but.....sat on them.
coyoteboy

posted on 27/5/13 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Carbon fibres, especially those cut with a grinding tool rather than a saw and water, produce fibre dust with similar properties to asbestos.

http://www.aerotherm.co.uk/the-hidden-dangers-of-carbon-fibres

Theshed

posted on 27/5/13 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
Oh dear

That said given that most of my education was in post war portacabins I am probably screwed anyhow. That and I worked in a garage for years blowing out the brake dust and working alongside the sprayer blasting out 2 pack....... No, I know I will get some masks.

coyoteboy

posted on 27/5/13 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Don't worry, I've done the same too before it was pointed out to me by a H&S manager at a place of work - there must be millions of us!

Probably not a problem but worth taking reasonable precautions.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.