Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DIY Panoramic roof
Mr Whippy

posted on 18/6/14 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
DIY Panoramic roof

Seeing all these modern cars with their nice fancy panoramic roofs I'm wanting to make one for my car using a heavy steel frame welded to my cars relatively flat roof and the glass then bonded to the frame.

Questions are… can anyone recommend an easy to use and strong glass mastic and does all glass need to be kite marked (wanting to use laminated windscreen glass for this, if I ever rolled the car I don't want my roof just vanishing!)

Any ideas?

Cheers

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 18/6/14 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Surely you can just use Windscreen mastic?

Are you *sure* you won't be weakening the structure of the car?

How are you going to get the glass to match the existing contour of the roof?

[Edited on 18/6/14 by stevebubs]

loggyboy

posted on 18/6/14 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Hi have visions of the Topgear Avantime:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/homemade-evo-2

1:00 min onwards!

Mistral Motorsport

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/6/14 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Was wondering if there was something stronger than windscreen mastic as that's quite rubbery, maybe it's ok?

The steel frame is made from two 1 inch 3mm angle sections welded together and then welded to the roof skin in a kind of double frame, there's still the double skin box section that runs round the roof anyway so this is in addition to that. I think it would beef up the roof if anything, it's just replacing a thin floppy sheet of metal

The roof is really flat with only the slightest curve, I may even just make it totally flat with my hammer

This is kind of what I was thinking

Cheers

[Edited on 18/6/14 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 18/6/14 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Why not put the angle bracket over the roof, that way you could paint it, and would not show any rough edges around the roof hole, would also reduce pooling of water.
The inner bracket thats supposrts the glass could be smaller so thickness of the glass lifts it over the bracket when finished, this would also reduce pooling.

Mistral Motorsport

loggyboy

posted on 18/6/14 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
like this:

Mistral Motorsport

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/6/14 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
yeah I know what your saying and did think about pooling the of water issue, idealy I'd like the glass to look like it is set into the roof rather than a after market sunroof frame so thats why the frame is under the roof panel
loggyboy

posted on 18/6/14 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
OE ones will be perfectly sealed, with pressed holes in the roof, custom seals and probably drainage channels. For a retrofit your almost certainly end up with a damp arse unless you seal it well.

Mistral Motorsport

mcerd1

posted on 18/6/14 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
what about like this:

Description
Description

or this if you could manage it:

Description
Description

[Edited on 18/6/2014 by mcerd1]

-

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/6/14 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
hmm perhaps I should make sure at each corner the glass is flush or very slightly proud of the roof skin so the water will run off

tbh I get a damp arse anyway as the currrent tilt and slide sun roof leaks due to dried out mastic, either that or it drips on my head when I go round a corner

[Edited on 18/6/14 by Mr Whippy]

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/6/14 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1

or this if you could manage it:

Description
Description

[Edited on 18/6/2014 by mcerd1]

I was going to say I can't think how I'd fold the edge over but thinking about it if I spot weld the top sheet on I could then tap the edge over the frame and weld it at the bottom so the weld would be hidden by the glass

good suggestion

mcerd1

posted on 18/6/14 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
^^ pretty much what I was thinking

having the old roof sheet folded under the glass is about the only way I can think of that would give you a hope of a neat watertight solution - because that way the glass is at least party bonded onto the roof sheet directly and you won't see any of the metal seems from the outside

-

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/6/14 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
yip a better solution all round

thanks

Myke 2463

posted on 18/6/14 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
What about modifying a Joggler / Flanging Tool to give a larger step ?, perhaps it would leave the glass a little above the steel roof but worth considering.

Be Lucky Mike.

Wadders

posted on 18/6/14 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
If you bonded it in with sika windscreen bonder and followed the correct prep and priming procedures.......and assuming you had a big enough sucker attached to a large crane, you would be able to lift the whole car up with your new roof.

Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Hi

Was wondering if there was something stronger than windscreen mastic as that's quite rubbery, maybe it's ok?

mcerd1

posted on 18/6/14 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Myke 2463
What about modifying a Joggler / Flanging Tool to give a larger step ?, perhaps it would leave the glass a little above the steel roof but worth considering.

only reason I didn't suggest that was I thought it would be difficult to get the depth needed for the glass + glue and you'd still need the reinforce it afterwards anyway

-

jacko

posted on 18/6/14 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
In this day and age bonded windows are the main strength in coaches and buses
the only thing i can think of to not do it is will it pass a MOT ? and condensation dripping off the glass
Jacko

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.