Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Aeroquip breather & cooler for sierra diff!
Lew The Machine

posted on 13/10/14 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Aeroquip breather & cooler for sierra diff!

Evening all!

Decided to pop the cover off my diff at the wkend and (after breaking the first torx bit and buying a replacement) all seems well inside!

I've also found out that it's a 3.38 *winning*

The breather is dead, it's in the bin!

I spotted this on the web...

I know it's over the top but I'm a sucker for shiny things!

Does anyone have any info on how it was done? I'm guessing drilling & tapping the breather hole to take some sort of aeroquip adapter?

I was also considering the possibility of cooling the diff as I intend to have a flat panel floor!? Worth it? Pros/cons?
Ta

ITS FINE! i welded it!

The Black Flash

posted on 14/10/14 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
"Does anyone have any info on how it was done? I'm guessing drilling & tapping the breather hole to take some sort of aeroquip adapter? "

Looks like - there are plenty of adaptors of various sizes, the aeroquip stuff is usually JIC fittings. Have a look on Demons, they've got loads of adaptors so you can see what's about.
Easy enough to do, personally I used a bit of rubber hose and a cheapy scooter brake resevoir as a catch tank

Lew The Machine

posted on 14/10/14 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Black Flash
"Does anyone have any info on how it was done? I'm guessing drilling & tapping the breather hole to take some sort of aeroquip adapter? "

Looks like - there are plenty of adaptors of various sizes, the aeroquip stuff is usually JIC fittings. Have a look on Demons, they've got loads of adaptors so you can see what's about.
Easy enough to do, personally I used a bit of rubber hose and a cheapy scooter brake resevoir as a catch tank

Yeah the Demon site seems better than the official aeroquip site tbh haha!

What did you attach the rubber hose to? Or did you just use a "push fit" size pipe?

I know it's quite insignificant but I need something to keep me occupied while I wait for laser bits to arrive!

I'm supprised that more people haven't gone down the cooler route, it seems quite popular on other diffs/cars?

ITS FINE! i welded it!

cliftyhanger

posted on 14/10/14 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Surely you would need some sort of pump to make the cooler actually work? otherwise no oil would flow through?
I doubt a gravity system would work (AKA old pumpless domestic CH systems) as too much splash.
I know some diffs have extra large capacity casings available with fins to aid cooling. Probably something simple would be best.....

CosKev3

posted on 14/10/14 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
Surely the diff won't get hot enough on a light weight kit car to warrant a cooler set up?

Massive power Skylines etc hauling nearly two tons I could see needing one!

Lew The Machine

posted on 14/10/14 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
Surely you would need some sort of pump to make the cooler actually work? otherwise no oil would flow through?
I doubt a gravity system would work (AKA old pumpless domestic CH systems) as too much splash.
I know some diffs have extra large capacity casings available with fins to aid cooling. Probably something simple would be best.....

Yeah most of the systems I've seen have pumps, it is a lot of effort but clearly some people worry about diff temps?
Maybe sierra diffs never see enough abuse to warrant a cooler?

ITS FINE! i welded it!

CNHSS1

posted on 14/10/14 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
circuit racing RS500s had diff coolers, but they weighed 1200kgs and had 500-600hp. cant see any need on a 500kg coffin-dodgem ;-)

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

Lew The Machine

posted on 14/10/14 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
Surely the diff won't get hot enough on a light weight kit car to warrant a cooler set up?

Massive power Skylines etc hauling nearly two tons I could see needing one!

Haha I wrote my reply before seeing your comment dude... I'd say your spot on though!

I still want an aeroquip breather though... OHHHH SHINEY!

ITS FINE! i welded it!

mcerd1

posted on 14/10/14 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CNHSS1
circuit racing RS500s had diff coolers, but they weighed 1200kgs and had 500-600hp. cant see any need on a 500kg coffin-dodgem ;-)

did the work ones not also have the massive 9" diff too ? (the 909 motorsport one)

the only problem I know of with the stock sierra diffs is that they can break off the mounting lugs when they are fitted to cars with loads of torque that don't use the rear mount.
a small number of the higher powered dax rush's (mostly V8's and cossie YB's over 350bhp) have broken the casings on both 7" and 7.5" diffs, but this might be partly due to the bolts working there way loose first as much as it was due to the lack of the rear mount and I've not heard of one breaking for a while now either.

-

CNHSS1

posted on 14/10/14 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
yep 909 9"

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

The Black Flash

posted on 14/10/14 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lew The Machine

What did you attach the rubber hose to? Or did you just use a "push fit" size pipe?

I know it's quite insignificant but I need something to keep me occupied while I wait for laser bits to arrive!

Yeah, mine still had the little plastic insert in and I just found a bit of rubber hose which fitted over that. If yours hasn't got the insert then you should be able to find an adaptor which is threaded one end and push fit the other, and tap the casing to suit.

It is insignificant, but I remember I still spent ages deciding how to do it...it's all part of the fun

Lew The Machine

posted on 20/11/14 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Not done a lot the past few weeks, struggling to find somewhere to brake press my 5mm parts!

Finished off the diff breather, all in cost me around £12!

ITS FINE! i welded it!

Dopdog

posted on 20/11/14 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
The original breather tube had a cut angle on it with the open side facing the back of the diff if I remember correctly. I removed mine the same as you have done and once I started driving it just pushed the oil up and out of the pipe, I had to make it longer and put a loop in it to solve the problem.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.